Had a 2012 F-150 Supercrew as a rental.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Bitogers,

Figured I'd just pass along my humble opinions about this truck. I was supposed to actually receive a Ford Fusion (or similar) as my rental for my recent vacation in Florida but the Enterprise location I used didn't have any actual cars left when I arrived. Only 2 pickup trucks. A GMC Canyon or the F-150 which I ended up picking.

The truck is an F-150 XLT Supercrew (4-door) 4x4 pickup. Had 700 or so miles when I started driving it and I put close to another 900 miles on it during my time in Florida. So, I had a good amount of time with it. I don’t currently own a truck so this was a bit of a change for me but I figured why not.

Drivetrain – New 5.0L V-8 with 6spd auto trans. Truck felt pretty strong in the power department and it has the sweet V-8 burble sound emanating from under the hood. Since it was a pretty new truck, I didn’t really mash on the pedal but I did need to hit the gas a couple times to get moving or accelerate around traffic. Engine noise is very minimal. Buddy of mine has a Toyota Tundra with the 5.7L V8 and this F-series was much quieter in that department. The transmission shifted very smooth and no real lags during the shifts. One cool feature is when you put the truck in drive a second row of lights up on the dash that tells you what gear you’re currently using as you’re driving along. There’s also a manual shift mode. Not sure of what the gear ratios/rear end ratios are but 60mph in 6th gear yielded 1500 rpms.

Fuel Economy – FWIW I used the trip computer for this one. I did a lot of driving going east/west on I-4. Highway MPG was consistently in the 19+ MPG range. I believe EPA estimates are 14-city/19-highway. Probably some weight/driveline inertia MPG penalty for the 4-wheel drive system.

Ride Quality – EXTREMELY smooth ride. At times you could forget you’re rolling down the road in a 5300 pound pickup truck. Only thing I could really compare it to is my current Pontiac G8. This truck definitely rides noticeably smoother than my Pontiac.

Interior noise – Very quiet here as well. You do hear some tire noise infiltrating the cabin and some wind noise hitting the side mirrors but overall the truck is very quiet inside. As I said earlier, you really don’t hear any engine noise unless you push the go pedal down a bit.

Interior – cloth seats, I believe standard for this trim level. Seemed comfortable. No backaches or stiff muscles after some long drives. Pretty decent dash layout. Stereo/HVAC controls were reachable. Gauges are pretty easy to read as well. Ford gives you the Speedo & Tach along with Fuel/Water Temp/Trans Temp/Oil Pressure gauges along with a trip computer in the middle of the cluster. Lots and lots of interior room. Huge amount of leg room for the back seat.
Visability – seemed ok to me. No real blind spots that concerned me. Mirrors are quite large and the driver’s mirror also includes a small wider angle section to help with any blind spots.

Other – it was a 4x4 truck and it didn’t have running boards so entry/exit required some flexible leg movements but that’s not a negative about the truck, really just Enterprise not thinking ahead about how to order the truck.

Ed B.

Originally Posted By: Stephen_G
I wonder how the ecoboost compares to the 5.0L

Same MPG as the 5.0 but a whole lot more power and even more quiet.

Last edited:
Haven't driven a new one, but the new engines are pretty impressive. From the 3.7L to the 5.0L all the way to the 3.5TT Ecoboost. From a personal perspective, I'd take the ecoboost, just because I like the lower end torque. Also, what's interesting is just how quiet the ecoboost is even under WOT.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Haven't driven a new one, but the new engines are pretty impressive. From the 3.7L to the 5.0L all the way to the 3.5TT Ecoboost. From a personal perspective, I'd take the ecoboost, just because I like the lower end torque. Also, what's interesting is just how quiet the ecoboost is even under WOT.

I'm still not entirely sure I trust a twin turbo, aluminum v6 under the hood of a truck.

I had an identical rental Ford truck a few weeks ago in Kansas City, but with leather. Same overall impression as you, but I got about 13 mpg combined between some 80mph highway driving and just a little around town. I did not have an opportunity to try the 4 wheel drive. The knob just sat there taunting me.

Engine felt great, tranny was good. Overall the truck felt big to me compared to trucks of yesteryear. Big may not be the right word, tall and narrow come to mind. I had to open the hood to figure out that it was the 5.0.

Overall I was impressed, but not ready to buy one.

Originally Posted By: volk06

I disagree with the whole lot more power part. The ecoboost only spanks the 5.0 at altitude were you the advantages of a turbo become a huge factor. Other than that but the 3.5 and 5.0 are very similar performance wise, which IMHO Ford did a good job of addressing a "weakness" of the F150 but I am happy with my 5.4.

I only say "weakness" because for some reason a lot of truck owners look at HP ratings and 0-60 times to "prove" what pickup is best. Ram HEMI owners IMHO are the biggest offenders.

Figured I'd clarify something regarding my highway MPG. My highway speeds were in the 65-70mph range. That was also based on gassing up the truck, resetting the Avg MPG, driving a couple miles to the interstate and then just driving. So, that 19+ figure is about 99% highway. I-4 is pretty flat so I just set the cruise and let that keep me from being a target for the State Troopers. I'm sure if I drove in the 80mph range, wind drag would become a MPG killer. When I did do more driving on local roads, the Avg MPG was in the 15-16ish mpg range.

Ed B.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Originally Posted By: volk06

I disagree with the whole lot more power part. The ecoboost only spanks the 5.0 at altitude were you the advantages of a turbo become a huge factor. Other than that but the 3.5 and 5.0 are very similar performance wise, which IMHO Ford did a good job of addressing a "weakness" of the F150 but I am happy with my 5.4.

I only say "weakness" because for some reason a lot of truck owners look at HP ratings and 0-60 times to "prove" what pickup is best. Ram HEMI owners IMHO are the biggest offenders.

Having driven both the 5.0 and 3.5L WITH a loaded trailer in hills I can attest to the a lot more power part. Unloaded I'd agree the performance is similar but that low end torque sure gets the trailer moving a lot quicker and it doesnt have to rev near as high to keep it going. The 5.0 shifts alot more going up the hills while the eco just pulls them. Theyre both darn good engines. Both pull alot better than the previous 5.4Ls with the 4sp.

Last edited:
I wish I could compare the 3.5 eco, 5.0, and the 5.4 in towing. I really like my truck and I have towed with it every where and driven it in every kind of condition. But I have an 09 with the 5.4 6 speed auto. And it has treated me good so far even in towing up in mountains I can not complain about a thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back