2011 Chevy Traverse 3.6L DI - 7343 miles, ASL 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a UOA I ran of our 2011 Chevy Traverse. Oil was Amsoil ASL 5w30. I ran the oil for 7343 miles - 4% on the OLM. Vehicle has 27,500 miles, as you can see. When it does get driven (a lot, obviously), it is usually for 40 miles to work, then 40 miles home.

I decided to run Amsoil due to its low volatility and this being a DI motor. Not thrilled with the low flashpoint of the oil. Other numbers seemed to be OK. Thoughts?

traverse_uoa_312.jpg

Not too much to complain about in this report. Fuel as is the hallmark with these DI engines yet it doesn't seem to be causing an issue...

With that much fuel in the sample, the flashpoint doesn't look that bad actually.

I think it handled things pretty well.

Those are good results for that engine, I've been watching these as I plan to buy one for my wife's next vehicle. Best UOA I've seen so far for the 3.6 DI was on Valvoline.

Originally Posted By: Artem
With that much fuel in the sample, the flashpoint doesn't look that bad actually.

I think it handled things pretty well.

+1. The Amsoil did very well. The Fuel is your culprit.

So the big question - would you keep doing things the way I'm doing? That is, Amsoil on the OLM?

I would use VWB in that engine at shorter intervals. We've seen good reports with it in these DI engines.

Originally Posted By: ABerns
So the big question - would you keep doing things the way I'm doing? That is, Amsoil on the OLM?

I would. You went further then the universal average (i'm guessing others are changing then oil @ 30% OL or something) yet your number look good. The oil has plenty of life left as a safety buffer and it seems to handle the fuel pretty well.

Originally Posted By: webfors
I would use VWB in that engine at shorter intervals. We've seen good reports with it in these DI engines.

Of course the reports look good with a shorter interval
33.gif
there's less time for fuel to build up, and less time for the oil to get beat up.

Unless the OP WANTS to be changing the oil every 3-4k with conventional oil, i'd stick to a high quality synthetic and run it down to 5% OL left on the monitor to get your money's worth outta the synthetic oil.

lots of highway? How about temps in your area?
Ive noticed fuel dilution on DI's where they remote start in low temps.
You can try running Valvoline Conventional for about 5500 miles. (my daily drives are about 20 miles each way).

Heres a link to a thread on my UOA... http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2561452&page=1

Just thought of something-- the 2011's call for Dexos compliant oil.... Valvoline said no to the fee.
What do you guys say to him running Valvoline since its not 'Dexos' compliant?

or the UOA itself.. if you dont want to read the thread.....
TraverseUOA_40K.jpg

Last edited:

33.gif
there's less time for fuel to build up, and less time for the oil to get beat up.

Unless the OP WANTS to be changing the oil every 3-4k with conventional oil, i'd stick to a high quality synthetic and run it down to 5% OL left on the monitor to get your money's worth outta the synthetic oil.

I dunno 5k on Valvoline White bottle with better results at 1/3 the price running Amsoil for only 2.5k longer doesn't look like a value to me.

My biggest reservation running VWB would be the lack of Dexos compliance. I am willing (obviously) to use an oil that meets Dexos but doesn't pay to certify (Amsoil). But VWB doesn't even meet Dexos. Plus high noack numbers on a DI make me nervous.

I could be convinced to use PP or M1 for 5k miles. But I've never been too impressed with those UOAs, either.
21.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ABerns
I ran the oil for 7343 miles - 4% on the OLM.

Your OLM for your MY 2011 must be using the same algorithm that for my 2009 Traverse. Specifically I am currently at 6100 miles with 21% remaining which projects to about 7400 miles with 4% left.

4. Do I have to use a dexos licensed product to maintain warranty for my 2011MY GM vehicle?
Federal law prohibits GM from requiring you to use a dexos licensed product to maintain warranty. In the owners manual it specifically states that a "dexos licensed or equivalent" product should be used. In fact GM even allows the use of ILSAC GF-4 or ILSAC GF-5 products in most vehicles if a dexos or dexos equivalent product is not readily available. Corvettes and certain other vehicles which previously required a GM 4718M type oil will require a 4718M type oil or a dexos/dexos equivalent oil.

the most recent UOA- is ILSAC-GF5 Valvoline white bottle.

more Valvoline info in regards to Dexos1.

http://www.valvoline.com/promos/dexos.jsp

Originally Posted By: KCJeep

33.gif

I dunno 5k on Valvoline White bottle with better results at 1/3 the price running Amsoil for only 2.5k longer doesn't look like a value to me.

Exactly. Just look at the two reports...

But spending 3 times more has GOT to be better right!!!! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back