Fuel Prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't disagree with anything he put forward.
Every reason for high gas prices he hit dead on.
Too bad most people don't the common sense to understand the multiple problems causing the rise in the cost of gasoline. Plus there is nothing any elected offical can do about it except flap their lips.

Pretty much agree, except it fails to point out that oil is a finite resource (weel not precisely finite, but replenishment is pretty slow).

One day it will be completely unaffordable to burn in I.C. engines.

Face it, we're going to pay whatever the price is. It's just the way we are. We'll make up for it somehow. I have switched from Michelob to Keystone beer. I know, the things I do for my cars.....
wink.gif

This isn't good news. I predict we will see tons of posts in the near future on "how to get better gas mileage" in my SUV

run used cooking oil from mcdonalds, its free no matter what mpg youre ride is.
only requirement is a diesel engine and a $500 conversion kit which would pay for its self in a year or so depenging on youre mpg and annual mileage of course.

you know i was thinking of maybe running a diesel generator off used cooking oil from mcdonalds. that would be like free electricity and water, sence we have a water well and not hooked up to city water.

It's going to take a major shift in attitude to make enough changes within ourselves so that we won't be so depended on OPEC or oil. I'll give you a fact that came across my desk Friday. America now uses LESS WATER than it did 20 years ago. I'm talking total. Even though the populations have increased, we are still using less water. Look what has happened over that time period: low-flow toilets, water conservation programs, public education, etc. etc. That is what we are going to have to do.

quote:

run used cooking oil from mcdonalds, its free no matter what mpg youre ride is.
only requirement is a diesel engine and a $500 conversion kit which would pay for its self in a year or so depenging on youre mpg and annual mileage of course.

you know i was thinking of maybe running a diesel generator off used cooking oil from mcdonalds. that would be like free electricity and water, sence we have a water well and not hooked up to city water.

Sure, but then you would have to sue MikkyD's for the exhaust making you gain weight.
grin.gif

Seriously, I would like to have a Nissan Navaro right now!
cool.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Cutehumor:
This isn't good news. I predict we will see tons of posts in the near future on "how to get better gas mileage" in my SUV

Doing that right now. The old Volvo got 24 mpg at 70 mph and 26 mpg at 65 mpg. Today 28 mpg at 70 mph and 30-31 mpg at 65 mph. Next sixty days I plan on increasing the fuel mileage by 2 to 2.5 mpg though some more modifications. I would love to get to 35 mpg but I don't have aerodynamics to get there.

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
Seriously, I would like to have a Nissan Navaro right now!
cool.gif

Even without running frier oil.....the turbodiesel is averaging 10.5km/l (I'll see what is does on 0W-40 M1 soon). Friends with the V-6 are getting 7 to 7.5km/l.

I'm seriously considering getting an ols diesel ute to replace my drive to work beater, and doing some playing with fuels.

The depressing thing is that is facts people don't want to face. People need to start planning on gas prices and other energy sources going up.

shannow, youre mileage doesnt matter with cooking oil. you could get 5km/l and it would still be free fuel. heck at 1km/l it is still free.

From the article: "In addition, some of the major producers of sweet light crude, the grade of oil best suited for making automobile fuel, are reaching capacity limits." Crude quality is indeed getting worse. It costs refiners more to process this crude. There will probably be some technology advancements and economies of scale kick in to help temper rising prices. I'm not saying prices are going to come down (I don't think they will), but they may not increase as much as some think. I think the price range of gasoline has permantly shifted, much like natural gas has done since 2001 or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back