No more Pennzoil synthetics with dexos approval

Status
Not open for further replies.
As posted in other threads Pennzoil Platinum has been removed from the approved dexos list. I emailed Shell today with a question as to the future of Pennzoil synthetics and the dexos specification. Here is their reply:

Dear Consumer,

Thank you for your inquiry. Unfortunately, the plan is not to re-certify our Platinum and Ultra brands. You can also consider using our Quaker State Ultimate durability 5W-30. That is a full synthetic and does have the Dexos approvals.

Regards,
Technical Service, sn

So looks like the approved SOPUS list for dexos is getting mighty short. Makes me wonder if I should just go ahead and switch to M1 as they've historically always had a good relationship with GM. I'm wondering how much longer SOPUS will pay for QSUD to carry the certification?

I know they are all good oils, but I don't want to fight GM if I ever have an engine/oil concern under warranty.

Eh not a big deal really. Thanks for letting us know though.

I think it's funny that the PU PDS was taken down. Hmmmm

Interesting......

Shell just trying to simplify things, I guess - just have one syn carry Dexos-1 to save certification costs.

But, I would have thought with all the marketing effort they put into Ultra and Platinum, that they would want them to 'carry it' for the brand.

I wonder if SOPUS had some kind of 'falling out' with Gm over the program, and sees it as a scam, like many have said?

Oh, ALSO...

Pennzoil now markets a 'Dexos-1 5W-30 syn-blend oil' for GM owners.

So why have a more costly syn have to be certified, when a cheaper syn-blend can meet the spec?

The cost isn't a one time certification. It's a royalty per quart, I believe it was about 8 cents.

If it was one price to get it tested it wouldn't be an issue for all sorts of oils to be certified. But it isn't. There is a licensing fee that every Ford, Toyota... Smart car owner has to pay and I can see why Shell think's it's a waste to pay it. Half the GM owners probably don't even know what Dexos is. Why pay a (IMO Hefty, certainly the largest by far) royalty that only 5% of your customers even care about.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bepperb
The cost isn't a one time certification. It's a royalty per quart, I believe it was about 8 cents.

If it was one price to get it tested it wouldn't be an issue for all sorts of oils to be certified. But it isn't. There is a licensing fee that every Ford, Toyota... Smart car owner has to pay and I can see why Shell think's it's a waste to pay it. Half the GM owners probably don't even know what Dexos is. Why pay a (IMO Hefty, certainly the largest by far) royalty that only 5% of your customers even care about.

Wow.
That tax is vigorous.
And large car companies do have leverage and momentum to practically force this on oil mfrs.
Good for Pennzoil to have the male appendages to avoid this on all their products.

it could be that PP and PU have a much larger following and people may buy it regardless of the certification. Maybe they are trying to boost there QS sales.

Originally Posted By: bepperb

If it was one price to get it tested it wouldn't be an issue for all sorts of oils to be certified. But it isn't. There is a licensing fee that every Ford, Toyota... Smart car owner has to pay and I can see why Shell think's it's a waste to pay it.

This is news to me. That's just not right. This is highway robbery.

I agree that QSUD is a great oil, but I worry that SOPUS may drop the dexos certification. I own a Chevy Silverado with the 5.3, and I know some recent 5.3 GM's with AFM have shown problems with oil consumption. I haven't had any problem with mine, but if I were to have a problem I don't want GM to have any "you used the wrong oil" excuses. As long as QSUD meets the spec I know I'm good, but I wonder how long that will be? I don't like uncertainty and just wonder if M1 would be less chancy in dropping the certification?

The per quart fee sucks because they have to pay it regardless if someone was buying it to use in a gm/dexos vehicle or not because there's no way to tell what the purchaser would use the oil in. They probably didn't want to pay the fees for a good selling product.

I concur that Dexos is a scam farce swindle poorly-implemented marketing idea. Platinum still has GM's 4718 and Acura's HTO-06, which show that it's still a top-notch oil.

Originally Posted By: sopususer
I agree that QSUD is a great oil, but I worry that SOPUS may drop the dexos certification. I own a Chevy Silverado with the 5.3, and I know some recent 5.3 GM's with AFM have shown problems with oil consumption. I haven't had any problem with mine, but if I were to have a problem I don't want GM to have any "you used the wrong oil" excuses. As long as QSUD meets the spec I know I'm good, but I wonder how long that will be? I don't like uncertainty and just wonder if M1 would be less chancy in dropping the certification?

What happen to my original response? Anyways it was in detail that GM'S largest shareholder the federal government basically stated that GM can not deny a warranty claim solely because a oil does not have a dexos license. There are many links to the FTC about their press release about dexos. I would just use whatever lets you get a good nights rest and not worry about it.

Originally Posted By: buster
Eh not a big deal really. Thanks for letting us know though.

I think it's funny that the PU PDS was taken down. Hmmmm

lol, and the specifications page now includes SN.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: dave1251

What happen to my original response? Anyways it was in detail that GM'S largest shareholder the federal government basically stated that GM can not deny a warranty claim solely because a oil does not have a dexos license. There are many links to the FTC about their press release about dexos. I would just use whatever lets you get a good nights rest and not worry about it.

I understand your point but if there were ever a problem and it wound up in a legal battle GM has a few more legal resources than I do. I know the absence of a green logo doesn't make PP or PU any less in quality, but it's just easier to go with something that is certified "just in case." I totally agree that any of the top tier oils would do a great job. I just wouldn't want to have to convince a court to agree with that opinion at my expense. I really think this whole dexos thing may play out in a year or so...time will tell but if the oil companies stand up to it I can see it going away.

So there basically saying it meets the Dexos spec, nothing changed in the formulation, they just arent going to bend over and recertify and pay the Royalty, if your anal buy QSUD, if not carry on, PP Utlra will work just fine.

Update-

Sent an email through dexos™ Licensing website yesterday--
here's the reply I got today-

Thank you for your question. We are glad you asked.

Actually, Pennzoil Platinum will continue to be licensed and will be back on the website by next week. We are pleased to let you know that you will also see other majors launching dexos™ licensed products in the near future.

Best regards,
dexos™ Licensing
The Center for Quality Assurance

4800 James Savage Rd.
Midland, MI 48642 USA
Phone: +1 989 496 2399
Fax: +1 989 496 3438
Email: [email protected]

Super44

You were able to accomplish something I could never do. I emailed the dexos center two or three times in the past and never got a reply. I'm glad to hear this. With the volatility specs on the SN version of PU and the GM 5.3's tendency to burn oil, I went ahead this oil change and used PU. I want to keep those oil rings clean so if felt good about PU's cleaning ability as well. I have a copy of Pennzoils TDS showing dexos approval for PU. Lord knows PU should be better (at least as good) than PP or QSUD. Hope PU is added to the list as well.

Well, I just asked in a straight (somewhat knuckle headed) way.

Here's what I sent them-

"Ok, on the level. Most of the "major" oil companies are bucking at the "dexos1" spec that is required for GM 2011 model year and later engines. Even some MAJOR synthetic oil makers are backing out with their premium products.

Question- My favorite syn oil brand(Pennzoil), has previously met your Dexos1 standards, but currently no longer meets GM license standards in your latest list - How do I know what to use??? "

Redneck luck I guess?- Super

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back