Any opinions on Carter electric fuel pumps

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to do two fuel pump changes this past month. Given the choices, I went with Carter each time, upon other's recommendations. Carter has been in the fuel business for a long time. That should be a point in their favor.

I went through 2 in 9 months on my car before upgrading to a Racetronix/Walbro pump. My opinion would be low on those.

Originally Posted By: wally6934
Any opinions on Carter electric fuel pumps.

About 4-5 years ago, I had the fuel pump fail on my '93 Dodge Dakota. It failed on a Sunday afternoon and I desperately needed my truck that night. Against my initial better judgement, I inquired about one from my local O'Reilly store, but when I examined it, I was pleasantly surprised. The original pump had the words "Made by Carter" molded in it and the replacement pump was identical in every way to the one that failed, including the "Made by Carter" in the same identical place. The original failed at about 150K miles and the replacement is still going strong with probably 50K miles on it. I have no idea if they have changed the quality since then.

Carter electric fuel pumps don't seem to be what they used to be. Last two I used were noisy from the start and failed within a year.

i put many miles on two of them. one i put over 1000,000 mlies on it. and running good when removed. this was a along time ago.

Originally Posted By: beast3300
I went through 2 in 9 months on my car before upgrading to a Racetronix/Walbro pump. My opinion would be low on those.

How long ago did you buy them.

I installed a Carter in my '88 T-Bird and it failed in 18mo, repl with a Walbro(that was '01), it's still in there... I wouldn't touch one with a loooong pole...

Carter fuel pumps are OE on 1998 - 2002 Dodge diesel trucks and they are very problematic in that application. I switched over to a Walbro pump, GSL192 and it has been problem-free.

OK, Carter fuel pumps are bad. Racetronix does not list a Walbro pump for my 1992 Dodge Caravan 3.3L with front wheel drive. I ordered an AC Delco pump and it came with a carter pump in the box, I am not sure if AC Delco switched over to Carter for this model or if the vendor i bought it from is a crook. Does anyone have recommendations for a good fuel pump for my van.

I view them with suspicion. I bought one during their "bad years" before I found out about their reputation for early failure and had it last about 5 years before it would start out quiet and after a few minutes of operation turn very noisy. I replaced it with a Delphi pump, which would be a good option for the o/p. Some auto parts stores carry Delphi, you just have to ask for the brand.

EDIT: AC Delco is just a name on a door now. They simply use the low bidder for their products. So don't throw your seller under the bus just yet.

Last edited:
Carter(I don' know who ownes them today) has been around a long time making quality products. I never like their carburators but, I never really liked anyones carbs.

Sure you can get a bad part now and again but, use carter with confidence, IMHO! Or try what others have mentioned!

It's a tough question! You want to do the job once and do it right! Especially if it a tough job in the first place!

Does anyone have recommendations for a good fuel pump for my van.

I recommend you go with a Bosch, do the job once and be done with it. Also, be sure to clean the fuel tank thoroughly.

I called Bosch and asked them if they make the Bosch 67602 fuel pump for my 92 Dodge Caravan 3.3L FWD. They said no they do not make that pump they buy it from Chrysler who gets it from whoever they currently have making pumps. To me this sounds like a very fishy story.

The reason i called Bosch in the first place is i found a post on the Internet were someone said he ordered a Bosch pump and got a Carter pump in the box. He called Bosch and they told him as they stop making certain model pumps they pick up another OEM pump makers pump and resale that one.

I do not like What i am finding out about Bosch pumps for my car, i think i will pass on Bosch.

So AC Delco is out, Bosch is out, Airtex is out, Carter is out. The last name brand pump i can think of is Delphi. Does anyone have any current information on them.

Originally Posted By: beast3300

How long ago did you buy them.

Summer 2010 to spring 2011.

I used Auto Zone electric pumps to replace the incredibly expensive OEM Bosch units on my former Jaguar Xj6's. Both were still working well when I disposed of the cars; one had gone another 100K or so, and the second about 50K.

Pretty sure the AZ pumps were Walbro's.

I called Bosch and asked them if they make the Bosch 67602 fuel pump for my 92 Dodge Caravan 3.3L FWD. They said no they do not make that pump they buy it from Chrysler who gets it from whoever they currently have making pumps. To me this sounds like a very fishy story.

The reason i called Bosch in the first place is i found a post on the Internet were someone said he ordered a Bosch pump and got a Carter pump in the box. He called Bosch and they told him as they stop making certain model pumps they pick up another OEM pump makers pump and resale that one.

I do not like What i am finding out about Bosch pumps for my car, i think i will pass on Bosch.

So AC Delco is out, Bosch is out, Airtex is out, Carter is out. The last name brand pump i can think of is Delphi. Does anyone have any current information on them.

The act of buying another manufacturer's product and re-labeling it is not at all uncommon. Most, if not all parts makers do it. I've taken an OEM Chrysler oil pan gasket out from a Fel-Pro box, a Bosch O2 sensor from a Denso box and so on down the line. They do it for varying reasons. Maybe they don't have the tooling, maybe it's too expensive to produce something that may be limited in sales quantity. So instead of not offering it at all, they simply source from another supplier to maintain market coverage. Nothing fishy about it.

As for a pump recommendation, I said Delphi and I mean it. According to my sales rep friend, they'll take a flawed OE design and improve it where applicable. I've installed dozens of them and had nary an issue. Whatever you do, make sure you replace the fuel filter too.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
As for a pump recommendation, I said Delphi and I mean it. According to my sales rep friend, they'll take a flawed OE design and improve it where applicable. I've installed dozens of them and had nary an issue. Whatever you do, make sure you replace the fuel filter too.

Thanks for the reply The Eric, What do you think of deals that are to good to be true. This ad declares that it has genuine Delphi parts for $112 and Rock Auto is $146. I googled around for “vppartswarehouse” and found no complaints against them, but did find they are indeed world wide, UK, AU, Philippines, USA, ETC.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Delphi-FG0195-Fuel-Pump-Module-Assembly-New-/270829419355?
pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f0eb0fb5b&vxp=mtr
Delphi # FG0195 Fuel Pump Module Assembly New
vppartswarehouse $112.00
Item number: 270829419355

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back