Rust from hades...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I couldn't sleep, so I started browsing eBay. New York state is dumping a bunch of their surplus trucks on there, and I came across this gem...

Rust Bucket

How does THAT happen? They have other trucks from as far back as 1990 and none approaching this level of rot, especially with only 72K on the clock. It must have been driven every time the roads were salted and never washed. I've seen some pool maintenance trucks eaten up by chemicals, I've owned a rust bucket Explorer from PA, and I've browsed NYS junkers on eBay before, but this is definitely the most extreme body rot I've seen on a 10 year old vehicle.

I wonder how is the chassis? I'd part out the truck and scrap the body/chassis and sell the parts. Headlights, glass, engine, drivetrain, interior, etc.

If something happened to the inner fender when it was new, salt and slush would have been flung around inside the space between inner and outer box metal. Then it got to camp out rotting from the inside out.

Aside from rocker panels, the rest of the truck doesn't look too bad in the photos. (New Englander talking.
laugh.gif
)

Or someone could have parked the truck with "something important" in the back, with a wet tarp/ blanket over that thing, in a corner of a lot for weeks or months.

Or it's a lifeguard truck/ salty beach duty thing. Department of Marine Resources? Once they strip the vinyl decals you don't know what it used to be. From the rust peeking out the front fenders you can imagine it getting sandblasted.

I had seen a bunch of those NY vehicles the other day on eBay too. I don't get it. Here in NH those vehicles would have been long off the road before they could have gotten to that point--I'm pretty sure a hole in the rocker is enough to fail state inspection. Or bottom of the door, etc.

Makes me think NY state was parking these vehicles under their salt piles. Or that "they" didn't have to abide by their own state inspection laws.

I mean really, you should see how bad the rest of them are. NY would be better off finding a scrap dealer, and getting scrap prices. Most of it is junk, half rusted away.

Unfortunately in upstate NY many vehicles look like that (although maybe not quite as bad). 5 years for a vehicle in upstate is enough to start it rustng nicely. They use a boatload of salt there.

Originally Posted By: supton
I had seen a bunch of those NY vehicles the other day on eBay too. I don't get it. Here in NH those vehicles would have been long off the road before they could have gotten to that point--I'm pretty sure a hole in the rocker is enough to fail state inspection. Or bottom of the door, etc.

Makes me think NY state was parking these vehicles under their salt piles. Or that "they" didn't have to abide by their own state inspection laws.

I mean really, you should see how bad the rest of them are. NY would be better off finding a scrap dealer, and getting scrap prices. Most of it is junk, half rusted away.

That's what amazes me. They had to continue driving this thing for a while after the rust had started to get to that point. It sounds like they just kept using it until the brake lines finally rusted through. A privately owned vehicle couldn't get to that point without failing an inspection, so my guess is the state doesn't have to follow their own rules.

I don't think that truck could pass inspection in any state that has them. Anyone bidding on that truck is really bidding on a 4.0 V6, trans, and transfer case (I hope). A reciprocating saw will probably be the best dismantling method.

Where I work, we've owned many white Rangers over the past 15 years; haven't seen any rust quite like that although much more common seems to be peeling paint. Several of them have had issues with paint coming off in sheets (then of course the primer is exposed and eventually rust appears).

I did see however a 90s Explorer that had so much rust the rear half of the body was like Swiss cheese. The sheetmetal actually flapped like fabric in the wind! That would be bad enough on an open body vehicle like a Ranger but on an Explorer? It must have sounded like a hurricane inside.

Originally Posted By: css9450
Where I work, we've owned many white Rangers over the past 15 years; haven't seen any rust quite like that although much more common seems to be peeling paint. Several of them have had issues with paint coming off in sheets (then of course the primer is exposed and eventually rust appears).

I did see however a 90s Explorer that had so much rust the rear half of the body was like Swiss cheese. The sheetmetal actually flapped like fabric in the wind! That would be bad enough on an open body vehicle like a Ranger but on an Explorer? It must have sounded like a hurricane inside.

Were they early 1990s models? That was a known issue with a lot of domestic trucks during that time. Lots of repaints were done under warranty. A Ford dealer repainted my old boss' F-150 under warranty when it shed all of its paint after about 3 years.

The Explorer had a [censored] poor rocker design that allowed rust to fester and spread from there. The metal part of the rocker was completely enclosed (it's open on Rangers), and a plastic trim panel sits on top of that. Salt, dirt, and water just sit back there eating away at the body and there's nothing you can do to wash it out.

My Explorer was a Philly transplant, but by the time it got here the damage was done...
IMG_0290.jpg

(removed off topic post about other brands)

Talk about the vehicle in the OP post. Do not turn this into a bashing thread. Posts have been removed since they were about other brands or UAW which has NOTHING to do with why something rusts.

Bill

Maybe that truck worked in the lot where they refill the salt trucks to salt the roads...?

I'm shocked that someone wants to pay $811.00 for it. Seriously!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: crw
Maybe that truck worked in the lot where they refill the salt trucks to salt the roads...?

I have noticed (I suppose this is obvious) that the amount of rust on trucks they use for sanding/salting is almost hilarious. Trucks less than 5 years old completely falling apart.

That truck was used to haul paint and chemicals - you can see it in the bed.

If stuff was hauled over the bedwall repeatedly, then the paint would scuff off in that area, and salt and chemicals would get at the metal.

I guess that's an alright price for a 4.0 and transmission if they don't have any problems. Aside from non-metal parts there's probably not much else that can be salvaged.

At least there's no rust on the hood...it's aluminum on most or fiberglass on the Edge/XLT 4x4 (that truck is not an XLT as stated in the description).

Looks like my first car when I started high school. It should be a good starter vehicle for a kid, once the rusty brake lines are replaced.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

I guess that's an alright price for a 4.0 and transmission if they don't have any problems. Aside from non-metal parts there's probably not much else that can be salvaged.

At least there's no rust on the hood...it's aluminum on most or fiberglass on the Edge/XLT 4x4 (that truck is not an XLT as stated in the description).

It's a matter of perspective. I've got a solid Chevy truck that I paid $1200 for, four years ago. No need to get a new powertrain.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Looks like my first car when I started high school. It should be a good starter vehicle for a kid, once the rusty brake lines are replaced.

And patch the holes. Would not pass with gaping holes like that, even in the bed. AFAIK it's a hazard to anyone walking by (that's the reasoning I've heard in the past), sharp edges. Also, with that much rust, I doubt the rest is any better.

Although it's such an eyesore I can't imagine anyone not noticing that vehicle...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back