AFE Pro Dry S vs. Paper

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 2009 Honda Fit that I service has a tendency to go through paper air filters very quickly. I find that they are extremely dirty and require replacement every 15k or less. This may be due to the extremely small filter and the location of the air intake.

Currently the filters are only available from the dealer. Even with my shopping skills, they are almost $20 ea with tax. Therefore, I am considering reusable filters.

A K&N filter can be obtained for $30 from Amazon, but I have concerns about their filtration capabilities. My current alternative for low-maintenance is the AFE Pro Dry S. It is $47, and is a synthetic media that does not require oil.

How well does the AFE Pro Dry S compare to paper for filtering? I have not been able to find data on their efficiency.

Thanks.

EDIT: I just noticed that AFE has a Pro 5R model, which appears to be a 5-layer, oiled cotton gauze filter. This filter is priced at $32, which is cheaper than the $48 for the Pro Dry S. Could the AFE Pro 5R be a worthwhile option, or is it just as bad as a K&N?

Autopartsway in the States has the paper ones for $13 for Beck Arnley and $11.51 for Full. As for the AFE dry filters, we're still in the stone ages up here: paper or K&N.
wink.gif

Everything I've read about AFE's dry filters says they're at least as good as anything else out there. They are expensive, but they're also washable.

I'd personally use any of the aftermarket choices, assuming the quality and fit are good. These all supposedly "fit the Fit":

BECK/ARNLEY Part # 0421800
FRAM Part
MAHLE Part # LX2693
WIX Part # 49460
ACDELCO Part # A3167C

The filters are getting so dirty, you can't just tap them out and proceed? I've never seen an engine air filter get "unusable" dirty in less than 50,000 miles.

run a filter restriction gauge, you might be able to run your air filter a lot longer than you originally shot.
As for the Pro 5R, its AFE's cheapest filter and does not filter as well as the Pro Dry or Pro 7. I had the Pro 7 in my jeep and it filtered great. I have the Pro Dry in my Scion and it seems to be filtering great as well. I was not happy with the fitment of aftermarket or even the factory air filters in my Scion and that is why I went with the AFE. I love the way it fits.

If it's a drop-in replacement try a Pro Dry S.

Do not go for their Pro 5R. Either get the Pro Dry S or their Pro Guard 7.

That's what I would consider, but I doubt the Pro Guard 7 comes as a stock replacement option but rather would be for an aftermarket intake.

If 1 paper filter is getting used up and the customer doesn't like re-using paper, regardless of actual restriction? w/e...try the Pro Dry S and clean it out when it fills up.

I'm trying my first in the old VX. Better than the K&N in quality and probably you are on the right track with the Pro 5R being similar to a K&N.

I don't have data to support the drop in silicon yet, but I suspect the filter I have now will prevent whatever the K&N was allowing upon initial impressions. Will report later on future UOA.

Last edited:
I use discarded pantyhose on the air intake tube on front of the air box, the air filter is barely dirty after 30k miles, because the pantyhose catch all the bugs, leaves, sand ... Just replace the pantyhose once a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back