Are specialty gasket makers/sealers worthwhile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: NHGUY
In my book,the "Right Stuff" replaces most all gasket makers.

That is what 2 mechanic friends told me. The "Right Stuff" gasket maker is expensive.

I think it does make a difference. Maybe a very small difference, but if you want to do the best job possible, it makes sense. I base that opinion on the specs used by the auto mfr's being different for various applications.

If you read and believe what the listing says on your examples, they list the supposed problems with using other sealants. I do know both gear oil and ATF are tough on regular silicone and I would not use it in those applications.

Guess that explains why I have over 10 different types of sealant in my gasket sealer drawer, huh? They are cheap and I seldom have a leak.

And they have some for sealing coolant. I suppose there are some differences in performance. Ultra black is a good one to go to for sealing joints exposed to various oils.

I don't use universal ATFs, I don't use universal coolants, and I don't use universal sealers. If it calls for "black RTV", I'll use that. If it calls for Hondabond, I'll use that. If it calls for General Motors OEM Sealer, I'll use that.

In other words, if the service manual recommends an OEM product, I'll use that OEM product. Only if it recommends generic "black RTV" or generic "red thread locker" will I use the generic.

I've come to the conclusion that for the average DIYer, the trivial amount of cost added by using the OEM product is overcome by the added assurance that the more expensive OEM product will provide the best service.

I don't entirely disagree since hardly anyone knows what the formulas are, but a service manual is usually going to recommend the automakers brand even if it is just say rebranded permatex ultrablack or grey. Both of which state they meet OEM specifications. But again you can hardly go wrong with just using the OEM.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I don't use universal ATFs, I don't use universal coolants, and I don't use universal sealers. If it calls for "black RTV", I'll use that. If it calls for Hondabond, I'll use that. If it calls for General Motors OEM Sealer, I'll use that.

In other words, if the service manual recommends an OEM product, I'll use that OEM product. Only if it recommends generic "black RTV" or generic "red thread locker" will I use the generic.

I've come to the conclusion that for the average DIYer, the trivial amount of cost added by using the OEM product is overcome by the added assurance that the more expensive OEM product will provide the best service.

Very well said. With that, however, I have been wanting to try the RightStuff. I have to do a leaking intake manifold on my LT1 Corvette. The gasket set comes with a small tube of black RTV but I was considering using what I always use - The Copper RTV...but now everybody is saying the RIGHTSTUFF is the best.

RightStuff is very very good. I first tried it out a couple of years ago in a difficult application (timing cover on a Cummins B) and it sealed perfectly. I highly recommend it.

One disadvantage to it is that it is difficult to separate pieces that have been assembled together with the RightStuff since it is very tough once cured.

Right Stuff IS good.
But it is expensive and harder to find.
And I have had a few cans be semi hardened/hardened when brand new.

A good clean surface, and plenty of cure time, is what RTVs need.
They are very reliable and good for automotive use.
One of the 'sensor safe' versions is good for all around use. [these are the ones that don't smell like vinegar]

Originally Posted By: Rand
The ford gray stuff is great.

This. Ford Grey is like the ultimate RTV. Holds like epoxy, seals against anything and appears to last forever.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: Rand
The ford gray stuff is great.

This. Ford Grey is like the ultimate RTV. Holds like epoxy, seals against anything and appears to last forever.

I think GM has a similar product. One of my friends who works at Chevy uses the GM grey stuff all the time.

I have heard good things about the Ford Grey, part no TA29, so I bought a tube a few months ago. About 10$.

One of the complaints I have heard about RightStuff is that it hardens up in the cartridge. I haven't had that problem. My two-year old cartridge is still very usable. I bought the cartridge that you use with a caulking gun.

I will be pulling off my diff cover soon, my diff still has the factory fill. I will be filling up with Mobil Synthetic 75W90. Does anybody have an opinion on RightStuff vs Ford Grey for a differential cover?

Ford Grey (TA29) was designed to deal with an oil leak problem around a device on the side of the 7.3L PSD's oil pan.

It resists oils extremely well and would be my first pick for use on a differential.

" old silicone sealers?" you old are you? i started working on cars in 1965. we had NO silicone. we had permatex #2. it did EVERY THING we needed. if i could still work on cars that is ALL i would use. if you use silicone on valve cover gaskets , fel-pro, will NOT warranty the gasket.

Originally Posted By: morris
" old silicone sealers?" you old are you? i started working on cars in 1965. we had NO silicone. we had permatex #2. it did EVERY THING we needed. if i could still work on cars that is ALL i would use. if you use silicone on valve cover gaskets , fel-pro, will NOT warranty the gasket.

I said "plain old silicone." It is a slang term meaning the cheaper generic silicone. Like the stuff you get in a hardware store for $3 for a large caulking tube.

I liked the old Aviation stuff. I don't know what it was called, but it was like cement. Nothing would ever leak if that stuff was used.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Right Stuff IS good.

A good clean surface, and plenty of cure time, is what RTVs need.

This is the most important advice here. There a lot of good RTV's on the market. I use Toyota black but right stuff is good and others. The parts must be absolutely clean and dry, that is the most important thing.

Originally Posted By: morris

And almost 50 years later, things are completely different. Valve cover gaskets don't need any sealant applied to them EXCEPT a dab where they cross a seam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back