Anyone own or use AutoEnginuity scan tools?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you've seen this thread, you know my Hyundai appears to need a new ABS module. The dealer wants $2,000 to do it after taxes and fees.

I'm planning on tackling the job myself with either a new or junkyard pump. I'll have to contact the company to confirm, but it looks like the AutoEnginuity scanner would give me most/all of the ABS capabilities I need to determine if it really is the ABS pump and possibly bleed and program the new unit after it's installed.

The total cost would be $399. That includes the general OBD II system and the specialized Hyundai/Kia service pack. . I plan on keeping the Hyundai for the long haul, so having these diognostic capabilities will likely come in handy in the future. Plus, the general OBD II capabilities would be useful with our other vehicles.

I know $399 may seem like a lot on first blush, but DIY'ing this job will save me much more than that, plus I'll then have the scanning software to keep.

So, anyone own or use AutoEnginuity software? How do you like it?

I have had their OBDII connector for my Palm for several years. I just traded that back to them for a PC/USB one. I think the product is an excellent product and support is also excellent. Once you buy a manufacturers specific package, you can get updates for $50/year.

I will probably buy the Chrysler package for my Dodge Ram and Jeep.

The guy said they are going back and writing more and more manufacturer specific stuff, including the transmission and other areas. Even for some older Chrysler vehicles.

I know there are laws about texting while driving, but what about OBDIIing while driving (watching the values/graphs)?

I have this system with 12 enhanced modules. Don't get general OBD II connector get the Proline instead. Thats the mistake i made when i got it years ago.
As i added enhanced modules some needed the Proline to work.

No problem doing ABS, it will give you codes and options depending on the model.
Believe me the Proline connector is worth the extra money, i think they charged me $150 plus the old one to upgrade it but if your jumping in you might as well do it with both feet and get it right the first time.

Originally Posted By: Loobed

AutoEnginuity sells refurbished units on ebay. Just do a search for "autoenginuity." or however it is spelled. Thier ebay name is "autoenginuitysales". The only have a 90 day warranty, which I don't think is good. If they are not confidant in their refurbished parts, they shouldn't sell them.

http://myworld.ebay.com/autoenginuitysales/?_trksid=p4340.l2559

That seller is NOT AutoEnginuity.

Here's what the "Condition" is on that seller's page:
"Item specifics
Seller refurbished: An item that has been restored
to working order by the eBay seller or a third party
not approved by the manufacturer."

This guy is buying defective or damaged units from wherever, fixing them, then selling them on eBay. Not a problem if done right, but you're NOT dealing with AutoEnginuity.

Just to add to that Tegger as this this latest software version they include a USB dongle that must be plugged in to authenticate the connector as "genuine".
When i updated my modules they mail it to you with a download link for the software.
I guess its to prevent these ebay things and cracked software from being updated.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Don't get general OBD II connector get the Proline instead. Thats the mistake i made when i got it years ago.

Thanks for the tips, but I'm a little confused. It appears they are constantly updating the product.

The basic $249 OBD II kit (#ST06) appears to now include the ProLine connector as standard equipment, so I think I'll be OK in that regard.

I should also add, I would be buying the PC based system, not one of the handheld systems.

Last edited:
Just to add to that Tegger as this this latest software version they include a USB dongle that must be plugged in to authenticate the connector as "genuine".
When i updated my modules they mail it to you with a download link for the software.
I guess its to prevent these ebay things and cracked software from being updated.

A lot of such hardware (and certain high-value, low-distribution software) comes with dongles these days, for exactly those reasons.

Originally Posted By: Tegger
Originally Posted By: stephen9666
$249 OBD II kit (#ST06)

Your URL is blank, showing only the protocol: http://

D'oh!

It's now too late for me to edit that post.

Here's the correct link:
http://www.autoenginuity.com/order.html#hardware

Yes i see that now, i guess because mine was the original pre Proline unit. I have the PC based software also, its great.
This is the unit you are looking at correct? Thats the same connector i got when i upgraded.

http://www.autoenginuity.com/order.html#hardware

Yes, that's the one.

Last edited:
Trav, when using the thing, does it need to be hooked up to the computer, or does it do some things standalone, or can you download the information to a PC at another location (i.e. not in my garage)?

I am following this thread with interest.

How do all the manufacturer-specific functions compare to the OTC Genisys? Compared to the Autoenginuity "complete set," the newest Genisys has more vehicle coverage at a lower cost (US+Asian+Euro all for $1500).

Quote:
the newest Genisys has more vehicle coverage at a lower cost (US+Asian+Euro all for $1500).
Do you have a link to this tool?
Link for OTC brochure: http://genisysotc.com/documents/11-239-GenisysSystem5.0 1_5.pdf
Link to the kit on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006DCER80/ref=cm_sw_su_dp

If you want OBD-I connections, you have to spend a lot more on the various cables. There's a kit that adds the US OBD-I cables for $500 extra.

I'm interested to hear peoples' thoughts on computer-based like Autoenginuity versus handheld systems like Genisys. I currently have no opinion.

The AutoEnginuity needs to be connected to some computing device although you can get a WIFI version I believe so the computer does not need to be in the car, but near. Its geared for people who want more than the handheld device and maybe for a garage. People who may buy the manufacturers specific stuff. The plain software updates are free. My old AE adapter for my Palm would not do CAN so at some point I would have needed a new adapter, thus I traded it in. I believe I got $150 trade in on the old Palm adapter as the new one was $140 + shipping. You can do several graphs at once, something that would be difficult to do on a device with a small screen. And with the extra cost packages it can do two-way.

I mean you can get free code readouts at Autozone, so its in your needs and budget.

The Auto Enginuity has left me in the lurch a couple of times with things like TPM and ohms on TPS sensors which are readable with the Genisys.
Startup time to communicate with the cars ECM is pitifully slow and is something i curse every time i use it.

Thats the negative, the positive is it does almost everything the more expensive units will do and the cost to update is not expensive at all.
The update cost is a cost that you don't really think about till you need them, on some of the large units it can be very expensive, some in the $1200 range.
This factor alone give the nod to the Auto Enginuity for me.

The Auto Enginuity has left me in the lurch a couple of times with things like TPM and ohms on TPS sensors which are readable with the Genisys.
Startup time to communicate with the cars ECM is pitifully slow and is something i curse every time i use it.

Thats the negative, the positive is it does almost everything the more expensive units will do and the cost to update is not expensive at all.
The update cost is a cost that you don't really think about till you need them, on some of the large units it can be very expensive, some in the $1200 range.
This factor alone give the nod to the Auto Enginuity for me.

Have you communicated that back to the vendor?

Yes i did, the situation with the TPS is on early OBDII Subaru's there is no enhanced package available to do these.
The TPMS is on Nissan and Infiniti models, it seems they would have to do a separate cable with a trigger and they have no plans to do so.

No feedback on the painfully slow communication from them other than the software is looking for the right settings.
Some makes are worse than others e.g. Infiniti takes about 2 min to find the ECM, GM less than half that but its still a long time compared to the better scan tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back