Need help on Buick Rendezvous & Best Code analyzer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, this is going to be quite long:

My daughter-in-law's Buick Rendevous (3.4 AWD) is dead. It has a no crank problem. I've never ran into this before and my GM experience has only been with OBD-I. Most of my OBD-2 has been on my Blue Ovals and those were simple fixes (O-2 sensors etc.)

Here is what I have done so far:

Engine will not crank:

Checked battery and found nearly dead cells. Replaced battery.

Still no crank. Unable to hear starter relay engage. Unable to get under vehicle to physically confirm if power reaching starter, but I'm reasonably confident it's not.

Fuel pump will not energize (no 2 second pre-pressurization when key turned on).

Checked for fuel pressure on fuel rail. No pressure at Schrader valve.

Checked all fuses on affected circuits as best as possible with available tester.

Swapped identical relays from one system to another in order to isolate fault. No help. Returned relays to original positions.

When key turned on, odometer will come up with miles and then read "error".

Theft prevention light is not flashing.

Seems as if the theft prevention system is holding out fuel pump relays and starter circuit.

Need to obtain code reader for any other analysis...........

Note: Her Uncle came over and used his code reader (don't know what he had) and said that the computer wouldn't communicate with his reader??? That didn't sound right to me as I am under the impression that even a dead computer would throw a code. I'm pretty sure this vehicle has a body computer also.

Now for the code reader. I need to spring for a new one anyway for my own use. I want one that does more than just read a code. The Equus Innova 3160b seems to fit the bill pretty well. It has live data and other features. Snap-On won't be an option as whatever I get will have to be E-tailed through Amazon or other online vendors.

I would really appreciate any imput on a diagnostic reader AND where do I go from here on this Buick?!?! Has anyone here experienced this condition?? Thanks to all!!!!!!!

Unfortunately, if you are going to retrieve any body (BCM) codes, you'll need a better equipped scan tool. The BCM is where you'll find any codes for anti theft or passlock issues.

Does it connect to the same OBD-2 port on the drivers side? Does anyone even offer a diagnostic reader for BCM codes that's affordable?

Always do the easy stuff first. Clean and tight battery terminals? Good battery/starter cable?

Originally Posted By: JasonC
If the OBD II reader can't communicate with the ECM, the ECM may be fried.

That is very, very rare. Poor connection, bad pins, dirty contacts, bad wiring, etc are more likely IF it is even an ECM issue.

Last edited:
All the easy stuff has been done. New premium battery installed. All connections clean. Additional online research is showing that these GM's had a lot of BCM failures/issues. If the BCM is fried, will that hold out the passlock (anti-theft) system and keep it from cranking?? I don't think it an ECM issue. Won't the engine still crank and run in closed loop on it's closed loop presets even with an inop ECM?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jetmech1
The Equus Innova 3160b seems to fit the bill pretty well. It has live data and other features.

Innova makes very nice code readers and they're built very robustly.

Don't know what year Buick were talking about so about all I can say is most likely your GM PassLock system has issues.

Ok. Here is a copy/paste direct from GM Service Information for the symptom "starter solonoid does not click" which I think is basically what you are saying. If you wish, I can email this to you where it is more easily viewed.

Main points in this paper are to check your Neutral safety switch...so..try staring the vehicle in Neutral as apposed to park. You may luck out there. It also mentions your ignition switch as well as, sadly, PCM replacement. But also a lot about poor connections incl to the starter.

SORRY ABOUT HOW THE CUT AND PASTES SHOW UP!! I cannot get it to show properly - it really is a simple yes/no question format but looks awful here. Emailing it is the only way.

xTooltipElement
Service Information
2003 Buick Rendezvous - FWD | Aztek, Rendezvous VIN A/B Service Manual | Document ID: 854066
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Starter Solenoid Does Not Click

Step

Action

Yes

No

Schematic Reference: Starting and Charging Schematics

Connector End View Reference: Master Electrical Component List in Wiring Systems

Did you perform the Engine Electrical Diagnostic System Check?

Go to Step 2

Go to Diagnostic System Check - Engine Electrical

Turn the ignition switch to the START position.

Does the engine crank?

Go to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections in Wiring Systems

Go to Step 3

Important: A flashing or illuminated security lamp indicates a theft deterrent malfunction. A theft deterrent malfunction may disable starter operation.
Is the security lamp flashing?

Go to Diagnostic System Check - Theft Deterrent in Theft Deterrent

Go to Step 4

1. Install a scan tool.

2. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.

3. With a scan tool, observe the Crank Request Signal parameter in the powertrain control module (PCM) data list.

4. Turn the ignition switch to the START position.

Does the scan tool display Yes?

Go to Step 5

Go to Step 14

Turn the ignition switch to the START position.

Does the Starter relay click?

Go to Step 6

Go to Step 9

1. Turn OFF the ignition.

2. Disconnect the Starter relay.

3. Connect a test lamp between the battery positive voltage circuit of the Starter relay switch circuit and a good ground.

Does the test lamp illuminate?

Go to Step 7

Go to Step 25

Connect a 30-amp fused jumper between the battery positive voltage circuit of the Starter relay switch circuit and the supply voltage circuit of the starter solenoid.

Does the engine crank?

Go to Step 19

Go to Step 8

Does the fuse in the jumper open?

Go to Step 15

Go to Step 16

2. Disconnect the Starter relay.

3. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.

4. Connect a test lamp between the battery positive voltage circuit of the Starter relay coil and a good ground.

Go to Step 10

Go to Step 12

1. Connect a test lamp between the battery positive voltage circuit of the Starter relay coil and the control circuit of the Starter relay.

2. Turn the ignition ON, with the engine OFF.

Go to Step 26

Go to Step 11

Turn the ignition to the START position.

Go to Step 19

Go to Step 17

2. Disconnect the park neutral position (PNP) switch.

3. Connect a 3-amp fused jumper between the PNP switch signal circuit and the ignition 1 voltage circuit of the PNP switch.

4. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.

Go to Step 20

Go to Step 13

Connect a test lamp between the ignition 1 voltage circuit of the PNP switch and a good ground.

Go to Step 27

Go to Step 28

2. Disconnect the PCM.

3. Connect a test lamp between the crank request signal circuit of the PCM and a good ground.

4. Turn the ignition to the start position

Go to Step 22

Go to Step 18

Test the supply voltage circuit of the starter solenoid for a short to ground. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Did you find and correct the condition?

Go to Step 34

Go to Step 23

Test the supply voltage circuit of the starter solenoid for a high resistance or open. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Go to Step 34

Go to Step 23

Test the control circuit of the Starter relay for a high resistance or open. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Go to Step 34

Go to Step 22

Test the crank request circuit of the PCM for a high resistance or open. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Go to Step 34

Go to Step 24

Inspect for poor connections at the Starter relay. Refer to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Go to Step 34

Go to Step 29

Inspect the PNP switch for proper operation.

Go to Step 34

Go to Step 21

Inspect for poor connection at the PNP switch. Refer to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Go to Step 34

Go to Step 30

Inspect for poor connections at the PCM. Refer to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Go to Step 34

Go to Step 31

Inspect for poor connections at the starter solenoid. Refer to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Go to Step 34

Go to Step 32

Inspect for poor connections at the ignition switch. Refer to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Go to Step 34

Go to Step 33

Repair the high resistance or open in the battery positive voltage circuit of the Starter relay switch. Refer to Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Did you complete the repair?

Go to Step 34

Repair the short to ground in the control circuit of the Starter relay. Refer to Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Go to Step 34

Repair the high resistance or open in the park/neutral signal circuit of the PNP switch. Refer to Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Go to Step 34

Repair the high resistance or open in the ignition 1 circuit of the PNP switch. Refer to Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Go to Step 34

Replace the Starter relay.

Did you complete the replacement?

Go to Step 34

Replace the neutral safety switch.

Go to Step 34

Important: Perform the set up procedures for the PCM.
Replace the PCM. Refer to Powertrain Control Module Replacement in Engine Controls - 3.4L.

Go to Step 34

Replace the starter motor. Refer to Starter Replacement .

Go to Step 34

Replace the ignition switch. Refer to Ignition and Start Switch Replacement in Steering Wheel and Column.

Go to Step 34

Operate the system in order to verify the repair.

Did you correct the condition?

System OK

Go to Step 2

© 2012 General Motors.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jetmech1
Thanks GMBoy. I am sending you a PM with my email. Much appreciated.

No problem - email sent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back