Beginning Kreen treatment, with PICS..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I decided to give Kreen a try.. The following pictures show what I will describe.
I recently purchased my car, and after changing the oil I found that the original filter had been in so long that it was falling apart, and literally was filled with chunks of sludge!
I also had leaky valve cover gaskets, so I decided to change them. And to my horror, I found TONS of sludge build up.. (see pics) So I had the covers sand blasted, and replaced them. Then Ordered Kreen.
After dosing with kreen, I ran it 250 miles and the oil turned black so fast that I immediately changed it again. (pic or two paper towels)
Now, I am going to dose the car again and run 500 miles, followed by a third dose and 1k mile change. Also, from this point on the car will only get Lubromoly 5w30 synthetic.
Thats the story so far, and I will update with more pictures when the treatment is complete..
Enjoy the pictures

b3663c13.jpg

0eb81555.jpg

4125a927.jpg

0a0db3fe.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

The car is a 98' bmw 740i, with the 4.4 v8. 108k miles

At the moment I'm going to be using the napa gold filters, and Lubromoly 5w30 synthetic. Once the sludge is (hopefully) gone, I'll be looking into other filters (with synthetic media) for longer interval oil changes.

I've been using it also. Is that engine a ticker? Did it quiet down immediately? Also keep an eye on your oil pan gasket...

See, didn't I tell somebody that whoever starts on this regiment always does manual cleaning? He wanted to see before and after pictures *without* manual cleaning.

Where is the valve train picture *after* the manual clean up but before Kreen? What about the other cylinder bank?

- Vikas

Last edited:
Wow that valve cover is so spotless, kinda hard to believe it's not a new replacement. How much did the sand blasting cost you?

The first thing i thought of when reading the original post was... why didn't you look through the oil fill hole before buying the car? You would have seen the build up and most likely would have ran for the hills.

The oil pan and pick up screen should be checked before you start normal OCIs.

Last edited:
I haven't done any manual cleaning of the engine, other than getting the valve covers sandblasted.. (which was free)
After the Kreen treatment is finished, I am going to pull the valve covers and take more pics. Also when the treatment is done, I'm going to pull the oil pan, inspect everything and replace the gasket.
The engine never did tick, or knock, or anything else. It ran great.. (surprisingly)
I simply discovered the issue when changing leaky VCG.

I wish it worked faster, but faster isn't always better.. In this case I think the slower approach will yield the least possible chance of clogging the oil supply and destroying the ehgine.

good start to a great thread!!!
thumbsup2.gif

but it may take more than a couple treatments to get that thing looking new. keep us posted!

I hope you have good luck with this but it looks pretty bad, deposits this heavy may well be beyond anything in a can.
That being said run it a few cycles, if you notice significant improvement then keep using it.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I hope you have good luck with this but it looks pretty bad, deposits this heavy may well be beyond anything in a can.
That being said run it a few cycles, if you notice significant improvement then keep using it.

Yes, and hope the OP keeps changing the oil filter rather frequently when using kreen.

I'd be looking at the oil filter every 500 miles for peace of mind, but definitely no later than 1,000.

Absolutely, that stuff needs to go somewhere.
I would be concerned about the pickup screen, hopefully the sludge dissolves and passes through into the filter.

I would not pull oil pan or try clean anything inside, I would just doing normal oil change regularly. and compare to what ever you did now to the engine compare to preview owner did, you do this engine a favor. Good luck and keep update, love the pix update
smile.gif

I check my filter twice a week, its a drop in canister so thats easy enough. Pulling the oil pan is not easy on this car, so for now I'm sticking with checking the filter often, and 500mi OCI.
I am aware that this may be too much for a product to handle, but its worth a shot. And if it works, I'll have great documentation for others..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back