Hustler Fastrak w/ 23 HP Kawasaki

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all;

My engine manual requires a strait 40 weight for the temperature range that I live in. I burn no oil when using the strait 40. When I switched this winter to a 5w-40 synthetic for cold start ups to push snow with a blade, I noticed a significant burn, I don't have a number or oz. figure, the level just moved significantly down the dipstick when checking.

I now need to switch back to summer oil and I would like to use a synthetic, but have only found a few. I am considering Royal Purple strait 40, is this a good option? Or does it really matter if I run synthetic in it? Should I consider any alternatives?

Thanks for any input

What brand synthetic?

If it were me, I would run 0W40 or 5W40 synthetic all year long. The "burn" was probably just larger clearances caused by cold temps and had nothing to do with the oil.

I am not an expert, so take this with a grain of salt.

That's an odd spec that I've never seen Kawasaki "require". Where do you find SAE40? Even if Kawasaki did show this viscosity on a chart, it would be "recommended", not required.

Joel

Originally Posted By: JTK
That's an odd spec that I've never seen Kawasaki "require". Where do you find SAE40? Even if Kawasaki did show this viscosity on a chart, it would be "recommended", not required.Joel

I just opened my 23HP Kawi manual and DID find the chart that shows:

40wt........68F - 110+/-F
30wt........32F - 96F+/-F
10W30/10w40..-4F - 96+/-F *

*Note: Using multigrade oils Will increase oil consumption.

When I called Kawasaki and Exmark, they recommended 30 wt. oils (straight or multi) for me in south Michigan. As I said before, the pros seem to use 30, 10w30, 5w40, and even 15w40.

I wonder if straight 40 gets more start up wear at temps. below 68F? Andrew, do you get lots of +90F days in Iowa to warrant a straight 40?

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
..As I said before, the pros seem to use 30, 10w30, 5w40, and even 15w40.

That's my thoughts.

I don't see the point in even trying to find a SAE40, when '40 weight' in the 15w40 variety is SO readily available and inexpensive (as oils get anyway!).

Then again, I've got the same feeling with regular automotive SAE30. I'll leave it on the shelf and replace that with 15w40 as well.

Joel

Right now it will be low 60s and 70s. In a few weeks it will be pretty much 90 or so plus for the rest the next few months. I store the machine in a uninsulated shed that catches all of the sun, so it is baking hot in there even at 80 degrees outside. Either way the range that the manual gives is 40 weight from 68F to 110F, so I am pretty much always within this range.

It seems like a pretty heavy oil to me as well, I just know that I'm far from an expert on the subject and typically try to follow the manual.

If it says 40 weight then I figured that I may as well find a synthetic. It wasn't easy, I only came up with pretty much the one from Amazon and its about 13 a quart with shipping. Typically I would say that is a crazy amount to spend, but I finally have a new machine and want to follow the manufacture's recommendations and it only takes 2 quarts. 5 quarts and we would have another set of questions.

Thanks for the input everyone.
Nice forum here, been "lurking" for years now just never had a real specific question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back