HOT ROD Mag

Status
Not open for further replies.
April 2004 p74 has Royal Purple test with big block mopar engine with different viscosities.
Interesting to note an almost 50% reduction in oil pressure with a 0W-5... vs a 5W-30..

I have one question!!!
When are the losers at Hot Rod and Car Craft ever going to get out of the 1960's. They haven't put a big block in a car since like 1980. Yet these people put 90% of their energy into building motors for cars that 99% of America doesn't own. I buy maybe one of their magazines a year to see if they will move into the nineties. So far not yet. I would love to see engine transplants such as a Monte Carlo with a hopped up Northstar stuff in it. Or the modding of a V6 FWD and putting it into the 13's. But NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO we are still building 454 Chevy's and stuffing them in to 69 Chevelles. They wonder why there circulation is continuing to drop.

Well car craft, is still dedicated to traditional american iron, and it is one of the few mags left, that are dedicated to that genre. There are about 1000 different ricer mags for you to choose from, so don't lose any sleep over it.

I get as many American Car mags as the budget will allow (too few these days).

I get CarCraft, Hot Rod, Popular Hot Rodding, I loved Circle Track, until Smokey left, Open Wheeler, the various 4WD magazines, Guns and Ammo etc.

I find the American magazines to be technically far superior to the advertising brochures that are available home grown, and from Europe these days. The last great bastion of technical innovation died 5 years ago, when an Australian Rod magazine was publishing a set of articels on running chevs on propane (22MPG US from a 350), and the readers demanded that it be removed so they could show more cars.

In short, there are a heap of technically worthy American Mags available. And given your market size, every single one of them can be "niche", as there are enough niches to keep 250 million people entertained.

If you don't like the articles, in Hot Rod, pick another Peterson publication that deals with what you want.

Didn't they have Dobberton's J2000 in Hot Rod ?

Hey Shannow, since when did 'Guns and Ammo' become a American car mag?
grin.gif

While I don't drive a American muscle car I'd much rather read about them and how to build them than to read the non-sense that comes from the "nawz" bling bling group of publications that have stormed the news stands. If I see another neon orange Honda Civic with a 747 horizontal stabilizer mounted on the trunk lid I'm gonna scream.

I agree. There are several guys running the 11's with the Buick 3800 FWD, a lot in the 12's and even a couple in the 10's. Yet they don't even get a mention in the big mags. You would think that Hot Rod or Car Craft would realize that not everyone wants or owns a RWD Chevy, but still likes the art of modifing and racing cars. And please don't group us with the ricers.
spaz.gif

-T

quote:

Originally posted by T-Keith:
I agree. There are several guys running the 11's with the Buick 3800 FWD, a lot in the 12's and even a couple in the 10's. Yet they don't even get a mention in the big mags. You would think that Hot Rod or Car Craft would realize that not everyone wants or owns a RWD Chevy, but still likes the art of modifing and racing cars. And please don't group us with the ricers.
spaz.gif

-T

If your into Pontiac FWD Grand Prix or Bonnevilles check out clubgp.com/
These guys have SuperCharged 3800 Bonnevilles
into the high 11's and are easily getting daily driver Grand Prix's into the mid to high twelves

quote:

Originally posted by ALS:
I have one question!!!
When are the losers at Hot Rod and Car Craft ever going to get out of the 1960's.... Yet these people put 90% of their energy into building motors for cars that 99% of America doesn't own...

About the same time the "losers" at NASCAR do. What do you think is under that Monte Carlo or Taurus-looking body? They have pushrod V-8s with carbs and RWD. The "S" in NASCAR does not mean "stock" anymore.

While I am definately NOT a fan of NASCAR, I hope you see my point that old American technology has a huge and $rich$ following.

Jimbo I have to agree 100% with you. I'm a Nascar fan and it really Pi$$es me off how they take these FWD and throw the bodies on RWD Chassis.
I can't stand these BS restrictor plate races.
Dale Earnhardt DIED because of that plate on his engine. If the cars are too fast then drop to a 5.0 or even a 4.6 liter motor and get all this crap off the cars to slow them down. I wonder how many new RWD's would come to market if these guys had to race the drive system that came on the car in the show room. I would love to see how long a FWD drive system would last in racing conditions with a 700 HP motor.

GMH in Australia are releasing a limited edition coupe [ the same car as the GTO in the states ] with the big block motor as standard fitting.

Aubrey, I think that the 427 was an adaptation of the current small block.

And unfortunately, the car is still born as of the other month.

Will try to retrieve the information from my library (read pile of paper in the back room)

quote:

Originally posted by Jimbo:

quote:

Originally posted by ALS:
I have one question!!!
When are the losers at Hot Rod and Car Craft ever going to get out of the 1960's.... Yet these people put 90% of their energy into building motors for cars that 99% of America doesn't own...

About the same time the "losers" at NASCAR do. What do you think is under that Monte Carlo or Taurus-looking body? They have pushrod V-8s with carbs and RWD. The "S" in NASCAR does not mean "stock" anymore.

While I am definately NOT a fan of NASCAR, I hope you see my point that old American technology has a huge and $rich$ following.

The only reason NASCAR hasn't gone to EFI is because EFI will make it a LOT harder for officials to keep the teams from cheating. EFI can be tricked much more than a carburator. I heard something about NASCAR handing out the PCMs, IF they ever went to EFI......still, there will be many ways a team could cheat.....those guys are extremely smart.

[ February 28, 2004, 01:04 AM: Message edited by: Last_Z ]

I agree.

Didn't they have a defecto traction control system working off the ignition over 10 years ago.

(Down here, we've got V-8 supercars, they have "launch control" Bury the pedal and drop the clutch. It's not intereactive, and has to be programmed....it's not racing per-se).

If we need to stick to V-8 racing (and I agree that we do), make the engines ever smaller, and stick to mechanical componentry.

I think If NASCAR would just go back to a 'stock' car, the weight alone would be a 'restrictor plate'. get a few caprices and LTD's with the stock weight instead of these 30Ga scrapmetal and lightweight tubed 'cars'. They did it in the past, and the cars went just as fast as now. I saw some pretty bad wrecks int eh late 70's early 80's, and just like now, saw the drivers 'walk away' from them. it just seems funny, looking over an old HOT ROD magazine, and seeing the 1981 pontiac grand prix with the Richard Petty '43' onit....and it had the stock plastic bumper on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back