Bad M5 for Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Y_K

Here is one BMW M5 I wanted to buy trusting their Carfax, until I ran Autocheck on it: Unibody Damage reported in 2007. Description says:"General Manager's personal car" - I guess anybody qualifies to be General Manager at that dump. Just an example of due diligence.

There's a link near the top right corner that says "Suspect Fraud? Report it." Did you?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: crosseyedwx
There's a link near the top right corner that says "Suspect Fraud? Report it." Did you?
smile.gif

Why would it be a fraud?

Since the seller is not the original owner, he may not have known that the car was in an accident, especially that the paperwork he obtained from Carfax doesn't show it. It's now up to the buyer to perform due diligence to uncover any issues. Before anybody buys a car like that, a PPI should be in order, and a PPI would definitely uncover any body work/frame work.

the asking price would be appropriate with no frame damage at all, but even then i would still haggle down 2-3k. that is a 10 YEAR old car, a BMW at that, so unless the cooling system has been overhauled, budget another $1k for a shop or $300 DIY work.

I wouldn't ever buy a car that has heavy structural damage in an accident, especially not an expensive car like that. Maybe I would buy a beater that's been in a serious accident on the cheap with no expectations of the car driving good.

If so you would miss out on some very nice cars.

We have a (by marriage) family owned body shop that can rebuild a trashed car to an amazing degree of perfection. I would not hesitate to buy one if I knew they rebuilt it.

I'm sure somebody else can do that too.

On the flipside, I'd go so far to say the average body shop can't even touch up a scratch on a bumper without the paint flaking off later on. A car with a major repair and rebuilding (improperly done which is more common than not) can have problems that are hard to fathom, from grounds and electrical, to leaks and hard to trace down rattles and vibrations, and alignment issues. Many cars I've seen that took a hard impact were never aligned and straightened back to spec.

If you know the bodyshop that fixed the car does superb work then that's a different matter, but they are not that common.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

We have a (by marriage) family owned body shop that can rebuild a trashed car to an amazing degree of perfection. I would not hesitate to buy one if I knew they rebuilt it.

My former boss has (bought new) a 1992 Dodge Spirit R/T...maybe ten years ago, it was creamed in the passenger side by a GMC Top Kick oil truck. The entire passenger side was spliced together from a junked Plymouth Acclaim, it has no original glass (all from the Acclaim), the only untouched original metal is the LF fender and the driver-side doors. It drives like a new car. (Note: it only has 58,000 miles.) It aligned perfectly, the tires wear evenly, all panels line up (judging by the pile of body shims it no longer needs, it's straighter now than it was new!), it tracks perfectly straight even at triple-digit speeds.

Originally Posted By: dparm
They might get half the asking price.

Unibody damage reduces a vehicle's value, but not by that much.

Unibody has to be replaced, it can not be fixed to the initial level of structural integrity (unless the damage is minor and superficial). It can be fixed cosmetically though.

Take a look at it and see whats damaged, usually body work ain't to hard to spot.

Could be fine, might not be.

Originally Posted By: Y_K
Unibody has to be replaced, it can not be fixed to the initial level of structural integrity (unless the damage is minor and superficial). It can be fixed cosmetically though.

I suggest speaking to a good body man to correct your ignorance.

Originally Posted By: Y_K

Absolutely untrue. You should instead say MOST body shops do not care enough to sweat the details!

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

My former boss has (bought new) a 1992 Dodge Spirit R/T...maybe ten years ago, it was creamed in the passenger side by a GMC Top Kick oil truck. The entire passenger side was spliced together from a junked Plymouth Acclaim, it has no original glass (all from the Acclaim), the only untouched original metal is the LF fender and the driver-side doors. It drives like a new car. (Note: it only has 58,000 miles.) It aligned perfectly, the tires wear evenly, all panels line up (judging by the pile of body shims it no longer needs, it's straighter now than it was new!), it tracks perfectly straight even at triple-digit speeds.

I love that people like your boss exist in this world.
That is an awesome and rare car, and I am glad he spent the time and was willing to get the car back to like new condition again. He is a guy I can relate with, that is for true.

You should post pics of that beast if you have any.

This is an interesting car...

of course, the ad states, "Not a scratch or dent on this beauty! "

Which, strictly speaking, is true...there is not a scratch or dent on it. There has been, but there is not now...

Wonder if they reviewed the history and are obscuring it? Or are they as ignorant as they seem...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back