Ice cubes shrinking in the freezer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone else seen this happen? Whenever I fill up my ice cube trays, they are brimming with water. When they freeze, they are even more brimming, so I have nice big ice cubes. Now, the only thing I use ice cubes for is scotch, so a couple of ice cube trays will last me several weeks.

It seems that over the period of a couple weeks, my ice cubes always go from huge (after freezing) and slowly start shrinking. Obviously, my freezer is below freezing temps. So logic would dictate that there is something in the ice cube other than water that is evaporating... but this doesn't really make sense. I mean, the ice cubes shrink to less than half of their original volume. Any ideas? I just found this curious so I figured I'd pick your brains with it too.

If it matters for the sake of discussion, I do use tap water for my ice trays, and our taps are fed by a well. The water is softened and filtered, but it is well water nonetheless.

It is called Sublimation: when water molecules change directly from ice to gas.

The inside of a freezer is very dry because moisture in the air condenses out of the air on the coldest surfaces of the evaporator of the refrigeration unit. Because the air is of low humidity Sublimation can occur at a noticeable rate.

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
Now, the only thing I use ice cubes for is scotch, so a couple of ice cube trays will last me several weeks.

Start drinking more heavily. Problem solved.
lol.gif

All the time but usually only over many weeks to months.

Sublimation like someone said. By that time they taste like old refrigerator seals anyway.

It's neat isn't it...
Nature abhores a vacuum, and loves entropy.

Lets air into transformers that are leaking oil, oxygen INTO nitrogen filled tyres, and evaporates ice in a freezer.

The defoster cycles of the refrigerator assist in this shrinkage. Bagging them should help, but they may freeze together. If they do, try using a small insulated bag.

Good luck and good scotch!

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Klutch9
Now, the only thing I use ice cubes for is scotch, so a couple of ice cube trays will last me several weeks.

Start drinking more heavily. Problem solved.
lol.gif

I was waiting for someone else's approval on this one. I knew that idea would work!
beer3.gif
Now, back to a more serious note... I also notice that the top of the ice cubes develop a chalky white substance on the top of them. From what I can tell it is flavorless and dissolves clearly into water. The sublimination explanation for the ice cubes shrinking makes perfect sense though.

I just started putting mine in a bag and I don't have this issue any longer for my martini's and Bulleit bourbon.

Question: I thought transpiration would be the correct process as ice is a solid?

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
I just started putting mine in a bag and I don't have this issue any longer for my martini's and Bulleit bourbon.

Question: I thought transpiration would be the correct process as ice is a solid?

Transpiration refers to plants taking in or releasing water.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
The inside of a freezer is very dry

The inside of a self defrosting freezer is very dry.

Self-defrosting freezers dehumidify the air before blowing it into the food compartment in order to prevent the ice buildup that requires occasional manual defrosting of cheaper/older freezers. Shrinkage does not occur in freezers without self-defrost.

Yep...sublimation. Since you don't use ice much, try this: Get a gallon of distilled water and use that to make ice. Be sure to thoroughly clean your trays before hand. Must be distilled.

Result? Perfectly clear ice at home.

By using a larger ice mold, say 2" sqr, you can make ice that won't dilute your drink nearly as fast.

Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back