Kia Forte Oil Recomendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a 2012 Kia forte with the 2.0.We have about 2,000 miles on the Odometer right now and I want to do first oil change at 2,500 miles,way earlier than what they(Kia) say you can do for OCI but I want to make sure there is no contamination from engine break in.Would this be to early for a synthetic oil?Or should I run a conventional oil 1 more time to let engine "break in" some more?I think I will keep this vehicle on a Valvoline diet and will run Synpower.Any other/better recomendations?

My wife and I own/have owned 5 KIA/Hyundai vehicles and always use synthetic oil from the first oil change. Several new vehicles come from the factory with synthetic oil as the factory fill.

Don't know but assume that your vehicle calls for 5W20. We have used 5W20 year around here with no problems and have long hot summers.

Thanks SRDriver.This is our 5th vehicle from Kia,have always had good luck with them.All our others I have always just run whatever oil I could pick up on sale but this one I plan on keeping.It's the hatchback model and suits our needs very well and fuel mileage is good so far which is why I traded in my 04 Colorado for it.31/32 mpg.
Not sure if it has a 5w20 syn in it now,I know many newer Kia's do run 5w30 so maybe.

Synpower is what I use in my 2010 Soul. I run 5000 OCI and it has 47000 on it now. One I used to run the Valvoline 5-20 SynBlend,but couldnt find it so I switched to the full syn. I noticed that when approaching the 5k mark,I start to hear a little valvetrain noise. I never heard that with the blend,so when my stash is gone,I will be switching back. I always use the Kia OEM filter too.

Well I ended up getting Valvoline Synpower in 5w20 and a Fram Xtra Gaurd filter.Still undecided on the 5w20,just seems thin.The owners manual states that you can also use 5w30,that seems like it would protect better at operating temps.I dont know,may go with that instead.Decisions Decisions

Any oil that meets the specifications for your vehicle will be fine. Just look in the owner's manual to see what the specs are.

Originally Posted By: rich1
Well I ended up getting Valvoline Synpower in 5w20 and a Fram Xtra Gaurd filter.Still undecided on the 5w20,just seems thin.The owners manual states that you can also use 5w30,that seems like it would protect better at operating temps.I dont know,may go with that instead.Decisions Decisions

Spend the extra coin and get a OEM KIA/Hyundai filter. They have a TSB out stating many if not most aftermarket filters will cause start-up rattle. The OEM filter is top notch and about $6-$7 at the dealer and can get down close to $50 if you buy a case of 10 online.

Not to thread jack - but curious if anyone with a Kia Forte or Hyundai Elantra (same basic engine) have had any trouble using a Mobil 1 , Wix , Pure One or Bosch Distance + oil filter ?

Hadn't heard anything about the oil filter TSB but will certainly keep that in mind.Who makes the factory filter for Kias?

Havent done the oil change yet as our car is still at body shop being repaired.The very first night we got it we had some high winds and a tree fell on 3 of our vehicles,the Forte took some minor roof rail damage and couple scratches.Had like 92 miles on the od
frown.gif
Hope to have it back tomarrow

Originally Posted By: rich1
Hadn't heard anything about the oil filter TSB but will certainly keep that in mind.Who makes the factory filter for Kias?

I think Hyundai has it made by one of it's subsidiaries. Below is a copy of the TSB that came out in February. KIA/Hyundai is being pretty strict about aftermarket filters, correct viscosity and warranty work.

2747217310048713253S600x600Q85.jpg

You would think a Bosch D+ , Pure One and Mobil 1 would all be good oil filter- but who knows in a Kia or Hyundai ? Even if they include a anti - drain back valve they may produce a different oil pressure than Kia / Hyundai specs.

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
You would think a Bosch D+ , Pure One and Mobil 1 would all be good oil filter- but who knows in a Kia or Hyundai ? Even if they include a anti - drain back valve they may produce a different oil pressure than Kia / Hyundai specs.

Those are all great brands and great filters but something seems to be unique about the KIA/Hyundai engines in regards to their oil filter requirements.

In addition to the start-up rattle, I have also recall reading that some testing was done in high rpm operations and many aftermarket filter failed to meet the bypass requirements for KIA/Hyundai.

I do not think KIA/Hyundai is being malicious in a profit motive to say only their filters, just that nobody has built a aftermarket filter to fit their requirements.

Most of the aftermarket filter makers throw an equivalent Fram part # PH2808 to these engines because they fit and not because it is built to the spec needed to these engines.

It also does not help that some KIA/Hyundai dealerships throw on a cheap lube shop grade generic filter when people get their oil changed on either a prepaid maintenance plan the dealer offered or advertised as a "budget" filter change. This is more ignorance of those particular dealerships rather than anecdotal evidence that aftermarket filters are OK.

I think what is unique about the KIA/Hyundai TSB is that they have plainly stated warranty repairs due to what "they" deem is an incorrect spec'd aftermarket filter, will be denied.

I am sure people will throw out the "Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act", but that will be an uphill battle in this case.

While not a filter brand snob by any means, I have bought a case of the factory KIA/Hyundai filters and can say they are a top notch quality piece. While I have not dissect one, the TSB above gives a cutaway pic and shows it to be above average in construction.

Last edited:
There has to be something different about these filters as this is not the first time this has come up with Kia/Hyundai. The talk about viscosities is interesting as there is currently another thread about Hyundai not allowing a 0w20. I thought someone had posted before that most of these cars listed a range of viscosities to choose from, is this not the case anymore?

Originally Posted By: cp3
There has to be something different about these filters as this is not the first time this has come up with Kia/Hyundai. The talk about viscosities is interesting as there is currently another thread about Hyundai not allowing a 0w20. I thought someone had posted before that most of these cars listed a range of viscosities to choose from, is this not the case anymore?

My Soul owners manual list 5W-20, 5W-30 and 10W-30. 5W-20 is what is recommended year round with 5W-30 being a suitable sub and 10W-30 for anything above 0 degree Fahrenheit. So there is some flexibility.

Hyundai/Kia oil filters are made by Mobis, one of the constituent companies within the vast conglomerate Hyundai-Kia Auto Group.

They are superb filters that appears to be confirmed by cut-open analysis on this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back