Who Makes The Best HM 5w30 /10w30 Motor Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had great results with Valvoline Maxlife.

Been trying Mobil Super High Mileage, nothing good or bad to say yet.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
who makes in your opinion the best high mileage oil, and why?
I have used Valvoline,Pennzoil And Quaker Whatever is on sale

crazyoildude you answered your own question the best is always what is on sale when comparing the major name brands.

Valvoline pretty much invented HM oil with Maxlife and I've yet to see anyone else do it better. Top choices though IMO besides Maxlife would be Pennzoil, or the new QS Defy. Rotella 10w30 would be much like a HM oil on steriods and is suitable for many PCMO applications.

good point...
Im still curious what oil everyone likes the best. i use hm oils but i dont have that in the drums at the shop so i look for sales and hope for the best...
im sure everyone has favorites

Why don't you buy it from your local distributor? Who cares about the price you mark it up like everything else and the customer pays. I never heard of a shop owner going out and buying oil at retail whether is on sale or not...

I have used Mobil [synthetic blend & full synthetic], Pennzoil and the old Quaker State and currently have a new fill of the Quaker State Defy which my high mileage vehicle no longer has the little puff of white smoke combine that with the price of $14.88 for a 5qt synthetic blend making it my favorite.

Toto.

I've got quite a few gallon jugs of the Red MaxLife HM oil, SM, in my stash....compliments of the Kmart clearance. One 5 Quart Jug of NextGen, from the WM clearance and almost 30 quarts of Valvoline HM, Full Synthetic, 5w-30, from the Advance Auto Clearance.

I'll be using some of the MaxLife Red Jug, SM, from the Kmart clearance on some vehicles this late spring.

I have not personally used any HM oils....yet.....so I can't give you an opinion on these oils.

good point...
Im still curious what oil everyone likes the best. i use hm oils but i dont have that in the drums at the shop so i look for sales and hope for the best...
im sure everyone has favorites

Right now, I use whatever I have stashed, since it's free. However, if I was buying at retail prices, I'd use Valvoline Maxlife Conventional or Maxlife Nextgen 5W20 in my Ford vehicles and 5W30 in those that call for it. At our local Walmart, both are sold for about $17-18 in pretty much all possible grades, which is not bad at all. There have been a few good Maxlife UOA reports already, and I like the fact that Maxlife version has a bit higher TBN than the normal oil according to Valvoline's product sheets. However, besides that, does anyone know what else differentiates the Maxlife oils from the regular ones?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Zako2
However, besides that, does anyone know what else differentiates the Maxlife oils from the regular ones?

If you're referring to the standard Valvoline line up, the Maxlife is a bit thicker, has a little stouter anti-wear and detergent add pack (as you've noted in the TBN), the Maxlife is also a syn-blend and it has some seal conditioners as well.

When you figure price and results, I believe the Maxlife (or Nextgen Maxlife) is probably Valvoline's best product.

All the rage seems to be Valvoline MaxLife......that and the new QS "DEFY" oil.......I like the marketing they got with that, higher Zinc, though not API certified....which some may "question" - but really, it's smart of them; save the money on branding for continued developments; I mean, by the time a car needs "HM" oil, they are out of warranty anyways, and the API cert. doesn't really mean anything anyways. :p Unless it's coming off the shelf at some dollar store in the middle of nowhere, USA....haha.

That being said, I'm still on my adventure to stop a leak in my gf's 1997 Saturn SL......not sure if it's leaking or burning, but she uses about a quart every 2 weeks.....drives the car primarily high way, no drops on the drive way, etc....

Last edited:
Used to use QS HM w/ Slick 50 already in it. Truck prolly ran its best on it except for now with the synthetic, and that oil was ran on a ST Filter

we have our oil in drums but no high mileage and then there is the spill factor its easier to just go out and buy it for my personal older car.
the newer ones i use what we have in the drums and change it when i have room for another car at the shop..we are very busy

who makes in your opinion the best high mileage oil, and why?
I have used Valvoline,Pennzoil And Quaker Whatever is on sale

I have not used any HM oils, but from what I have seen from UOA, I think Valvoline is one of the best. I don't think 75,000 miles is high mileage. I have almost 100,000 miles and I think that is low. 250,000 or 300,000 is high mileage.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back