Lug nut torque ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: toyotaguy
maybe I should just set it to 80 and be done
I'm overly conservative, but I have always set my wrench 3 times ... once from 0 where I store it to some convenient value below spec (say 60 or 65 in this case) which I use to pretension, then to spec which I use to finish, then after all 4 wheels are done, BACK TO ZERO.

I've been using 85 on any vehicles I've serviced (generally with M12 lugs, various thread pitches), unless I knew it was say a truck that took higher torque. Never had a problem. The difference between 80 and 85 as far as how much more it turns, I've seen to be very very small, say smaller than a 1/16th of a turn of the wrench.

I'm sure there is a [scientific] way to calculate torque spec based on stud/bolt thread size, thread engagement, pitch, seat type (angle, ball, flat etc), and material of stud and wheel. And it makes me wonder if there is such a thing as 'absolute/terminal' torque, such a spec that anything beyond this spec would start to stretch the stud/bolt. I don't know if that makes sense but I hope you get what I'm thinking. I figure it's really difficult to torque beyond this with conventional tools, 1/2 or 3/8 ratchet, which is why I generally go by feel when doing torque on fasteners, except that of wheels (because a 20-in 1/2-drive breaker bar can put on some torque), and axles, and of course critical engine assemblies or anything that's smaller than M10
I googled Toyota corolla 09 torque spec. States 76 lbs. maybe I should just set it to 80 and be done

Originally Posted By: mgm13
I am surprised at the low torque of 75#.Just changed to aftermarket on my PT GT at the recomended 110#. Done at Discount Tire and they had me drive 50 miles and retorqued at the 110# spec.

Most Toyotas get 75-85 ft lbs.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
Stock Toyota rims are hub centric not lug centeric. Leave it on the ground.

Some Toyota SUV & truck wheels are lug centric. The 4Runner and Tacoma are for sure.

my subaru spec's 66 (well some NM figure converted to about 66ft-lb)
I usually tighten to 70-75# dry I'd rather be abit high than low.

75 wont hurt anything. Its the idiots with 250# from the impact wrench that jacks stuff up.

I pretighten with a torque stick in the air. My impact wrench with the 70# stick is consistently around 55-60 within the limits of my tools to measure. This is because the sticks are rated for use with a larger torque number than my gun produces.

Then I final tighten on the ground with a clicker style torque wrench. It not super accurate but its repeatable.

Last edited:
Nice Rand - I do my subaru to 90 ft-lbs and my larger nutted american firebird to 100 ft-lbs. I find it works well, I have trouble trusting anything below 90.

Originally Posted By: George Bynum
I'm overly conservative, but I have always set my wrench 3 times ... once from 0 where I store it to some convenient value below spec (say 60 or 65 in this case) which I use to pretension, then to spec which I use to finish, then after all 4 wheels are done, BACK TO ZERO.

Most (if not all) of the torque wrenches I've seen state to store the wrench at 10-20% of the max torque wrench rating. Storing below that may damage the wrench.

Originally Posted By: Gillsy

Most (if not all) of the torque wrenches I've seen state to store the wrench at 10-20% of the max torque wrench rating. Storing below that may damage the wrench.

Our Craftsman torque wrench tells you to store it at the minimum "STOP" position.

Originally Posted By: cchase
Originally Posted By: Gillsy

Our Craftsman torque wrench tells you to store it at the minimum "STOP" position.

Same with mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back