Valvoline synpower vs sopus and m1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put Synpower into my Nissan last month and I have full confidence that the oil will perform well. So far, my motor has been running very smoothly. I have not had the clatter that I had when I used Mobil One oil. My opinion is that Valvoline Synpower 5W-30 is a very good motor oil. I have used the Valvoline White Bottle Dino oil, and have had good results so far with it. I just decided to go full synthetic this time and see what happens.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet. What does "outperforms" exactly mean and where are the scientific tests that back it up?

Almost any of the major manufacturers make excellent synthetic oils. Some do things slightly better than others. Overall the quality gap has closed.

Manufactures have also broken synthetics into different tiers based on different synthetic chemistry options available.

Synpower will provide very pretty UOAs on 6K drain intervals.
No oil provides better UOA results on shortish drains.
It is probably not suited to really long drains.
Synpower is very smooth in our Forester, and fuel economy is better than it was on GC.
Know what you're using and why.
Synpower is a very good oil on moderate drain intervals.
It is not a long drain oil.
It may outperform some other oils in some ways, but not in others, just like any other motor oil.

I have to agree with fdcg27. I've used SynPower for years and it is not well suited to long-drains but produces great wear numbers for short- and mid-drains. If you get it on sale it's a good price, but otherwise it's on the expensive side, at least around here.

I like Valvoline Synpower. I added a quart of 5W-40 to my fill of MaxLife 10W-30 and it really
seemed to make the car accelerate quicker. Of course it could all be in my head though.

My previous fill was Synpower and my car ran more smoothly than it is now on PP. I have not decided for sure but I am considering switching back to Synpower after this fill. I think PP is a great oil but my car seemed to "like" the Synpower better.

SynPower is a very, very smooth oil in my experience that also puts out some the best UOA's out there (not super long drain though). The VOA's scare some people off but it's thought by some they're using additives that don't show up on VOA's.

But one can not argue against their impressive UOA results. Also I think the NOACK was quite impressive as well. When I ran SynPower on various cars I loved it, noting it being very smooth & a quiet engine. I have a stock of it now that's in my rotation.

i think all are high quality products, but with all the buzz going around GTL lately i might pick PU...........just to see for myself

I really like Valvoline in every vehicle I use it in runs great with great fuel mileage.
I am trying QSUD in my 11 Elantra next fill just to see the difference.
Penzoil products are the only oils that have given me problems.
Maybe the engine was abnormally harsh on oils but the same engine that ate up Penzoil products and spit them out had no problems with FF, Amsoil, Valvoline SP and Castrol Syntec.
M1 I cant comment on even though I suspect the oil in my Vibe is a Mobil product which has been great so far.

Last edited:
A question for those who state drain intervals. What is your criteria for short, medium and long drain intervals? In addition; please point us to the UOAs to back up the statements that Valvoline is not good for xxx intervals. Thanks.. Ed

Last edited:
Valvoline SynPower, also has like it's conventional, the Moly Free, Sodium Fortified Action packed add packs.

NAPA Conventional and Full Synthetic Oils have the same Moly Free, Sodium Fortified Action packed add Packs.

Take this into consideration if your vehicle is on restricted diet and can only have a High Sodium diet without any Moly.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
A question for those who state drain intervals. What is your criteria for short, medium and long drain intervals? In addition; please point us to the UOAs to back up the statements that Valvoline is not good for xxx intervals. Thanks.. Ed

Well, I have reviewed all of the Valvoline UOAs I have been able to find in that forum, including a recent one of Maxlife SB in a Tahoe (I think), and those that included TBN showed that Valvoline products appear to be good for around 6-7K.
Those UOAs are as available to any member as they are to me.
This does not disturb me, since I normally run 5-6K OCIs, and the Valvoline UOAs usually show very low metal levels in the used oil.
I would consider 4K or less to be short, 5-7K moderate, and anything over 10K to be a long interval.
I don't think Synpower, much less VWB, can retain TBN for 10K in most engines, but I'm open to being proven wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back