2006 Ford Focus rear brake drum and bearing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2006 Focus with rear drum brakes. I had to replace the rear wheel bearings last year and found rear drums with the bearing already pressed in to be the easiest way to do this repair. Two sets from Adv. Auto went bad within several months and one was bad right out of the box. They were cheap and AA gave me no hassle returning all of them under warranty. I got another set from NAPA which look to be of much better quality. Now one of them is making noise. I am beginning to wonder if something else is wrong, like maybe a bent spindle. The drums spun smoothly when installed with no apparent binding. Maybe I need to spring for genuine Ford or Motorcraft parts. Any ideas? Thanks

Originally Posted By: JRed
If it contains a bearing and says "Made in China" stay far, far away.

This. I went through 2 junk bearings before biting the bullet and upgrading to a higher-quality Korean-made bearing on my old Buick.

Originally Posted By: yonyon
Is there any possibility you're undertorquing the nut?

Nope, I was aware that undertorquing would cause problems.

I still have the orignal drums. I thought about getting a good quality bearing and having them pressed into the old drums. I just don't want to keep replacing bearings if something else is bad, like the spindle.

Originally Posted By: another Todd
What did you torque them to? I think the torque is supposed to be 172 foot pounds IIRC.

I don't recall the exact amount, but it was the 170-190 Ft./Lb range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back