2000 Ford Focus ZX3 hatchback

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son has a 2000 Focus ZX3. He went to Oreilly to get some oil and filter the other day, and came back with Castrol 5w20. He said they told him that 5w20 or 5w30 is appropriate for this car, but the book calls for 5w30. We proceeded to change and use the Castrol 5w20. Is this going to be OK for this car? We live in N.C. and we don't have a lot of sustained cold weather here (Usually anyway). thanks for your input

I would be willing to bet it is perfectly fine. Similar things have been done before.

But as always, if it makes you sleep easier at night, change it for 5w30. Best advice I can give...

By 2001, Ford said to use 5w-20 on that same engine. The 5w-20 is supposed to be better for Fuel Econ...

Ford's book for 2001 says use 5w-20 with 5w-30 as a second choice.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Covered by the gas saving CAFE back spec. Where they substitute gas consumption with oil consumption.

Just for your info LeakySeals.....have used 5w20 Syn for over 45K on my 03' Focus....it gets great mpg....and has yet to burn a drop of oil.

Just don't know where you get your information from....but keep using that 5w30... if your happy with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back