Front sight adjustment necessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The better half and I have been shooting my new Remington 1911 R1 a bit lately. The first few hundred rounds we've just been shooting a cardboard box. This time I fashioned a simple target board and stapled a splattering target to it.

Prior to the new target, by all accounts the point of impact seemed to average low and to the left. During a routine cleaning, I found the front sight to be loose, so I bumped it a hair to the right and re-tightened. Now, my POI is slightly to the right and hers is mostly low...

My target at approx 25-30 feet and 50 rounds... (BTW, Ignore that one lone stray, low and left. I accidentally flinched just before firing)

SDC10610990x1320.jpg

Her target at the same distance and approx 65 rounds...

SDC10611990x1320.jpg

Looks like she is anticipating recoil. Watch the gfun carefully as she pulls the trigger to see if the muzzle drops slightly.

It's a possibility that shots going slightly all left/right may be from if someone is right handed but is left eye dominant and vice versa, makes your hands/eyes kind of want to pull the gun one way or another, don't know if that's your situation or not.

On the shots being low, might want to look at what kind sight picture is the gun zero to, like the ones on this link http://pistol-training.com/archives/1361 some people may aim thinking it's one sight picture when it's another so it makes the shots low/high.

Note that FRONT sight adjustment is this:

If your shots are hitting LEFT..move the front sight LEFT to correct.

If your original error was "left"..moving the front sight Right would make your bullets strike MORE to the left.

Grip and trigger press usually cause low and right.

If it has a 3 dot sighting system you put the dot in the center of the target, not just below like you would with a blade sight.

Thanks for the tips and info. Now that has been mentioned, I don't really know where I moved that front site to?

Tom, I eventually figured that out and tried to impress to my wife that she should "blot out" the center of the target with the front sight.

One possibly important point... I shoot left and she shoots right.

I will definitely keep my eye on her as she shoots to see she's dipping the gun.

I think that we should put some more rounds through it to see if the slightly to the right stays or not before tweaking the sight. <<<<< Sound like a plan?

First of all, 10 yards the top target could be all technique (bottom one as well for that matter) Point is top one isn't so bad and could easily be centered with grip practice. Lower one looks like someone is holding low, I am not familiar with the sights on an R1, but I assume front and rear level with fuzzy bullseye center cutting through this level line OR fuzzy bullseye center resting on this line? Looks like it should be through the line and someone is resting the ball on the line.

Just my opinion, but if those groups were shot at 8 - 10 yards, I don't think they're consistent enough to measure any quantifiable error in sights. If the groups were tighter, you could point to a more definitive sight alignment estimate, but with that much spread, a slight adjustment in the sights isn't really going to make much difference in the gun's performance...

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Just my opinion, but if those groups were shot at 8 - 10 yards, I don't think they're consistent enough to measure any quantifiable error in sights. If the groups were tighter, you could point to a more definitive sight alignment estimate, but with that much spread, a slight adjustment in the sights isn't really going to make much difference in the gun's performance...

I agree with this and neglected in my post to specifically suggest not adjusting the sights.

Ed, thank you for the link, that should aid in improving our shot groups.

Pablo, I know that I'm trying to keep the sights clear and the target fuzzy, but it doesn't feel natural to me, so it will take some extra practice. I'll make sure the better half is doing the same.

Does anyone have any input on how the correction chart would apply to me, being a lefty? I may be out thinking myself, but it doesn't quite make sense.

Originally Posted By: ammolab
That error chart is for right handed shooters.

Flip all errors/corrections left/right for a lefty.

Right, err, correct... It suggests that due to my shot placement (7,C and D,11) that I'm thumbing (c), right parallel (7), tightening grip while pulling rigger (D) and pulling on trigger;snatching; anticipating (11).

Now since I'm left handed, should I use the opposite side of the chart, which would be 8, G, and 12?

Also, is there a place where I could get an explanation of their problems, IE: thumbing or left parallel?

Eric, were you using a bench rest? If not, I suspect that the sights are OK and it is the technique.

Again, your top target is just not that bad for 10 yards. I'm serious. Nothing to be super worried about. With a little practice, you could have them all in the red and be excellent.

Also, see this:

LHC.jpg

Oh and here's for righties:

RHC.jpg

CivicFan, no bench rest.

Pablo, thanks for the corrected charts!

Where would be a good place to find out what some of the definitions are, like "thumbing"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back