Oil Prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read a report somewhere, I wish I could remember where, where the price for a barrel of crude is expected to go to $150 a barrel. What will the price of a gallon of gas be then?

You know it's going to happen. We've been too strong for too long. Now we got competition for other developing nations that are following our trend 20 years ago. It's just going to get worse unless we start drilling some more to offset the market.

I agree that we need to drill more. Also, what I think we are beginning to see is a subtle (or maybe not so subtle) hint to get us to drive smaller, more fuel efficient vehicles as opposed to the big monstrous SUV and trucks dominating the markets today. Ultimately, the large SUV will die, for the most part, as people will go back to smaller cars and trucks. The movement will also be away from large expensive 4X4 vehicles that are never driven offroad to need the 4X4. Remember back in the early to mid 80's when we had compact cars getting 30-35 mpg regularly, and medium size trucks getting 20-25 mpg? 4X4 vehicles were left for farmers and construction, and the like. If the market would have continued with that efficient trend until the present, we may not be seeing the energy problems we have today.

In short, I feel as if we are, today, paying for our sins in the past for being so shortsighted with demanding size and horsepower over fuel efficiency and thriftiness. We will continue to pay, as these fuel thirsty SUV get sold and/or passed down to the lower to middle class who cant afford a new vehicle and only buy used vehicles 3-5 years old, and will then drive them until they quit. We are getting them out of 1980 Malibus and Granadas, and putting them into 1998 Expeditions and Durangos. Going from their old vehicles avg mpg of 25 to their new vehicle av mpg of 13. It is disturbed with what I see on the road these days. For instance, four door Ford F-350 crew cabs or Ford Excursions being driven daily to work by only one person. Empty bed, no hauling being done. Anyway, sorry for being so longwinded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back