new tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
along with some front end work, i got two new tires, p255/65r16 bfg long trail t/a. they used nitrogen. did i wast $4.00?

Originally Posted By: morris
along with some front end work, i got two new tires, p255/65r16 bfg long trail t/a. they used nitrogen. did i wast $4.00?

Well if you have less maintenance to do in checking and setting the pressure, how do you value your time vs $4?

Here's how I see this nitrogen debacle.

Assume you fill up with regular old air, 80% nitrogen. Pretend the rest, regardless of composition, leaks out in a week.

So, in a week, your tire is at 80% capacity with pure nitrogen. You now fill up with regular old air. Now 80% of that 20% is nitrogen, and the rest leaks out.

Now, two weeks later, your tire is at 96% capacity with pure nitrogen. You fill up again with regular air. Now 80% of that 4% is nitrogen, and the rest leaks out.

This is why I can't get my head around nitrogens claimed benefit of less leakage. It seems to me that if that were true, tires would naturally become pure nitrogen over time, or effectively so.

Of course this is an oversimplification, but it's an illustration of the disconnect that exists here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back