Consumer Reports 1996 NYC Taxi Cab Oil Test

Status
Not open for further replies.
That test was hoplessly biased as to everyday driving. The cabs were literally never shut down. Different effects when the car never cools off.

These cabs experienced virtually no cold cranking.

Another good test, but not quite on point for what most people drive.

Dan

This study was certainly flawed but it does seem to point out what several of the experts on this forum have been saying about short OCI's. What I noticed was the prices of the oils. Most are within a few cents of what they are now, 8 years later.

It is interesting to note than not even one commercial grade oil like Delvac or Delo was in this equation, wonder what would have happened if they were thrown in, I am sure the tests would have indicated their excellent performance in cab car conditions.

Those taxi oils had it easy in that they weren't exposed to numerous thermal cycles and resulting condensation and contamination. But they also had it hard in that they experienced much more idling and low-RPM operation than most cars, leading to higher fuel and soot contamination and presumably higher operating temps. Certainly a majority of these cabs were not used during early morning hours (midnight - 6AM), and very few of them were driving folks around at 2AM-5AM, meaning they went through at least one thermal cycle each day. That's not completely unlike a civilian who makes a long suburban commute to/from work each day, making most errands and stops on the way home. For such a driver, I'd say the taxi test had much more relevance than some would suggest.

"...wonder what would have happened if they (HDEOs) were thrown in?" It's not likely they would have done much better (if at all) than the Mobil 1 syn that was used, and that oil didn't seem to perform noticeably better than the dinos. "Even the expensive synthetics (typically, $3 or $4 a quart) worked no better than conventional motor oils in our taxi tests..."

[ September 26, 2004, 10:13 PM: Message edited by: TC ]

If we review the uoa's consumer reports is not that far off in their results.Look at the pizza delivery car uoa. Taxi cab useage severe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back