dakota ball joints

Status
Not open for further replies.
i just spent $2,125. on ball joints and steering gear. i read about all this NEW [censored] they build for new cars. why cant they just build better ball joints. high tech doesn't help me when they go out at 125,000 miles. they dont even put grease zerks on them from the factory.

Originally Posted By: morris
they dont even put grease zerks on them from the factory.

When most people barely change their oil, you actually expect them to regularly grease their ball joints too? Ball joints are a known problem on Dakotas. Most other vehicles have no problem with them.

At 125,000 miles you're complaining? Nothing that moves lasts forever.

You could have done it yourself for a lot less. I'm guessing they replaced the lower control arm instead of just replacing the ball joint.

And yes, I also drive a Dakota.

I think 125K is more than I've ever seen come out of any ball joint honestly.. I'm impressed.
What is not impressive is the kidney you paid for it with.

i just spent $2,125. on ball joints and steering gear. i read about all this NEW [censored] they build for new cars. why cant they just build better ball joints. high tech doesn't help me when they go out at 125,000 miles. they dont even put grease zerks on them from the factory.

I think we need more details on what all was replaced and the specific year and model of this Dakota.

On first blush, $2,000 seems ridiculous.

My guess is at least upper control arms were replaced...possibly lowers as well. Steering rack replacements aren't all that unheard of either. I had a '97 Dakota and the upper arms had already been replaced by the time I got it.

On my dakota. I'm on my second set of upper and lower balljoints at 125k miles. This time I replaced them with moogs so I'm hoping it will be the last time.

What brand did the shop use?

Dodge had problems with some of the 2nd Generation Dakota's with the upper ball joints failing. It may have been some of the later first gen trucks were involved too. There is a recall on some Dakota's for upper ball joint replacements, but the recall only applies to 4 wheel drive trucks.

125K is a good long life span for ball joints on a heavy mid-sized truck like a Dakota. Mine lasted about that long too but my truck is only a 2 wheel drive.

125,000 mile ball joint replacements are common on Dodge trucks. It is also common on Ford trucks, and the Chevy S10 and Blazer. Chevy full size trucks get much better ball joints. The longest lasting ball joints on a pickup truck are found on Toyota trucks. I have never replaced them on a Toyota truck with less than 180,000 miles.

well you guys are right the mileage really isn't that bad now that you say. but do it my self could not happen, my body wont let me do it, iam 63.

to:Bottom_Feeder i dont know what brand of parts was used, it wasnt on the invoice. ill go to the shop and ask.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
they dont even put grease zerks on them from the factory.

When most people barely change their oil, you actually expect them to regularly grease their ball joints too? Ball joints are a known problem on Dakotas. Most other vehicles have no problem with them.

This.

I often hear people whining about this often and my boss playing up grease-able joints. Most often a poly filled joint will last 100k plus with ZERO maintenance. How many serviceable joints will make it to 100k without being greased? I've seen 200k OEM tie rods before.

Greasing is fine but can be messy. I actually prefer sealed, maintenance free joints because they are so clean.

TO: Bottom_Feeder i found out they used moog joints.
_Eric: thinks for the info. i think this truck will last me the rest of my life.

Interesting that Mopar couldn't get the ball joints to last on the Dakotas... The ones on my Jeep are still good and tight at 131k miles.

TO:rslifkin i hear you. i am up set that something as simple as ball joints cant last longer. but i hear other brands arnt much different. i get upset hearing about high tech stuf, when what we need is JUST better parts. thats just one story i have about chrysler cars/trucks

They did studies years back and discovered "Lubed for Life" joints were better in the long run over serviceable joints.

Most serviceable joints were prone to failure because many owners and even lube service shops would just improperly service a joint. This included incorrect grease and/or blown boots with too much grease.

Even at almost 200K on my Accord, the Lube for Life joints are fine with the exception of the tie rod joints that just starting to show issues.

In the case of the Genn II Dakota's, that was more of improper manufactured issue and not due to them not being serviceable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back