I saw these tires..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cooper CS4's on a recent year BUICK Enclave CUV. I'm sure that they didn't come OE and I really don't know what speed rating they were or their size but, they looked great!

I'll assume the tires were 18" or 19" as they were quite large as is this vehicle.

I didn't want to check out the vehicle too closly in case the owners were watching from a distance so, I just gave it a quick peek!

I thought that, along with the "NEW" CS4's, Cooper also introduced a seperate Truck/SUV tire with the similar name!
Or are the "NEW" Cooper Truck/SUV tires, the same CS4's tires that we all discuss here in the tire section?

Just curious!
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Those tires get good reviews and are a tire I would for sure consider when replacing my tires too.. I've heard good things, but have never driven on them myself.

I'm a big fan of the "budget" brands that have good bang for buck. Cooper and General always come to mind for me. I wouldn't waste my $ on the boutique tires like Michelin or Toyo which I've never even liked the ones I've had anyways.

When I shopped for the Highlander the CS4's were more expensive than the (at the time on sale) Michelin LTX. The CS4's are anything but a budget tire and don't get as good of reviews as a lot of other tires in their price range. I'm sure they're great tires but at a premium to the LTX 2's, no way.

Isnt that a Pepboyz brand? Man, I boughht a set of bad Z-rated coopers on a budget for my 2000 Contour- couldnt balance them and they had very high rolling resistance. Definitely a bottom rung brand in some sizes.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I thought that, along with the "NEW" CS4's, Cooper also introduced a seperate Truck/SUV tire with the similar name!
Or are the "NEW" Cooper Truck/SUV tires, the same CS4's tires that we all discuss here in the tire section?

Cooper has two premium tire lines out. The CS4 Touring is their premium passenger car tire line, but it is commonly available in sizes that fit SUVs. The CS4 Touring is available in T-rated versions and in H/V-rated versions. The H/V-rated tires have a slightly different tread design (5-rib vs. 4-rib), and a different compound I would guess.

The Discoverer CTS is their premium SUV/light truck tire line. There is some overlap in sizes here. For example, both the CS4 Touring and the Discoverer CTS are available in my CR-V's size, 225/65R7. Both are also available, as I recall, in my MDX's size, P235/65R17.

Since most "SUVs" these days are essentially cars, no reason to use anything else tire-wise, so long as it meets load.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Since most "SUVs" these days are essentially cars, no reason to use anything else tire-wise, so long as it meets load.

Well in my case it was a balance between the quietness of a passenger tire and the snow performance and added tread depth of a truck/suv tire. Granted there are a lot of tires in between, for example Michelin has a passenger tire (Harmony/Symmetry) and a truck tire (LTX 2) and one in between (lattitude) all in the Highlander's size. They all have their strengths and weaknesses, it's not as easy as just using the passenger tire because it's used like a car 90% of the time.

I have both of the Coopers:the CS$ is on my wife's Saturn and the CTS is on my Nissan Frontier. I really like both sets of tires. They are smooth running, quiet and have shown excfellent wet and snow traction on both vehicles. I purchased them through a local service station where I do business. I can only say that I would recommend them.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Isnt that a Pepboyz brand? Man, I boughht a set of bad Z-rated coopers on a budget for my 2000 Contour- couldnt balance them and they had very high rolling resistance. Definitely a bottom rung brand in some sizes.

Cooper is not a store brand tire. But, I think they might be making a push to be bigger name in the tire business.

I think many of their tires are made in the USA, which is good, IMO.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

I do know at one time, that PB's FUTURA & Definity line of tires were manufactured by Cooper Tire/Rubber Co.

Cooper manufactures many private label brand tires; just to name a few:

Definity/Futura
Mastercraft
ElDorado

And if you see a tire that you never heard of, there is a gooc chance that Cooper may have mfg'd it too!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bepperb
When I shopped for the Highlander the CS4's were more expensive than the (at the time on sale) Michelin LTX. The CS4's are anything but a budget tire and don't get as good of reviews as a lot of other tires in their price range. I'm sure they're great tires but at a premium to the LTX 2's, no way.

If you like Michelin Ltx and can afford them, I urge you to look into silent armour next time you need tires.

Cooper does make a lot of store brand tires, but so do a lot of other manufacturers.

Also, don't assume your Cooper tires are made in the USA. They own a large manufacturing plant in China, and my Cooper snow tires were made there
frown.gif

I'd never do Coopers again! Worst tire I ever owned. Egg shaped and noisy as can be, These were a popular size Jeep Cherokee tire as well.
Plus at one time they had horrible quality control. I even think they found trash and debris in tires during the vulcanizing or molding process. Google it.

255/70-16 are around $300+ per paw down here.

And you only get their advertised "lifetime" warranty on their 4WD if you buy them in the city and have a city residential address.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back