Redline Fuel System Cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Added a bottle to the Honda with 89 gas. Wow. Car really perked up. The odd part is, I use Gummout HM FS cleaner quite often, so I can't imagine the system is that dirty. What could cause a pretty noticeable improvement in power? Could also be coincidental if the gas is different.

Did you put it on a dyno to test this?

Me thinks its just a result of placebo effect.

Well that is certainly possible but I am very good at noticing subtle changes in performance. I drive a lot and pay close attention. But no I have not so I can't prove there was an actual change.

It could be the UCL in Redline. Gumout All In One has UCL also. Apparently HM does too but less than AIO.

Last edited:
I noticed more pep when I STOPPED suing SI-1. I bought a case on Amazon and varied my dose/tank from 2-5 oz. Before that, I'd used it as whole bottle doses at spaced-out intervals. I think both of our perceived gains was all in our head.

Marketing aside, I noticed a very good performance feel/idle smoothness when using Red Line's FSC. It was impressive, but didn't last long as I OVER DOSED and wound up changing my plugs the next tank.
frown.gif

Reminder to self: Don't use entire 15 ounce bottle in 10 gallon tank.
33.gif

...but yes, I did notice a better feel in response, etc, using it. I too think it might be it's awesome use as an UCL.

Originally Posted By: Jeffy_D
I use redline alot.. From what I read on thier website, it reduces the.need for higher octane by 2 points. So you used 89 , then a whole bottle will up it to 91, which could validate the claim of increased power.

www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=80&pcid=12

2 points is 0.2 not 2.0

89 octane would be 89.2 octane.

I don't think there is anything in SL-1 that would boost a tank of gas from 89 to 91. It would cost more than $10

My truck was pinging pretty regularly for several months. I was using MMO in every fill up. I tried Regane and it didn't change anything. I tried different gas stations. I tried not using any additives for several weeks. Nothing improved. I finally ordered a bottle of Redline and the pinging stopped around a 1/2 tank.

I don't know why or how I ran into carbon issues with buying top tier fuel and using good UCL, but I did. It's been several tanks of gas later and no problems. The only thing I can figure is it takes me around 3 weeks to go through a full tank. Perhaps some gas is going bad by that point?

Originally Posted By: bigmike
My truck was pinging pretty regularly for several months. I was using MMO in every fill up. I tried Regane and it didn't change anything. I tried different gas stations. I tried not using any additives for several weeks. Nothing improved. I finally ordered a bottle of Redline and the pinging stopped around a 1/2 tank.

I don't know why or how I ran into carbon issues with buying top tier fuel and using good UCL, but I did. It's been several tanks of gas later and no problems. The only thing I can figure is it takes me around 3 weeks to go through a full tank. Perhaps some gas is going bad by that point?

I was using MMO in every fill up.

Found your problem right there!
13.gif

^You know, for south florida, I suppose it's possible in the hotter weather with faster full temp/longer heat soak and a generally more harsh summer environmental than basically any state east of Texas, etc...perhaps using MMO did something to the octane if overdosed at all, maybe not cause but obviously didnt prevent.

Sometimes you need a PEA cleaner and apps that don't response to a 'maintenance' dose type of add. Red Line and other FSC like Amsoil's Pi or Chevron's Techron, Regane etc can be added at a much greater ratio than MMO.

Originally Posted By: Jeffy_D
I use redline alot.. From what I read on thier website, it reduces the.need for higher octane by 2 points. So you used 89 , then a whole bottle will up it to 91, which could validate the claim of increased power.

www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=80&pcid=12

Why don't you guys get it ? High octain gas WILL NOT increase power , it will only prevent engine knock in higher compression engines that require it . Putting high octain in a car that does not require it WILL NOT ...I repeat....will not increase power . In reality , because it burns slower than regular it will make the engine run sluggish . It's all in you imagination and here is the part that really gets me....high octain fuel is cheaper to produce for the oil companies . They love you guys using it!!

nitehawk, I agree with your points except for one: High octane gasoline does not burn slower. It resists pre-ignition better.

If a higher octane gasoline reduces your mpg perhaps the reason is that particular blend has more ethanol added to it to boost the octane.

But I am not an expert in this field!

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
nitehawk, I agree with your points except for one: High octane gasoline does not burn slower. It resists pre-ignition better.

If a higher octane gasoline reduces your mpg perhaps the reason is that particular blend has more ethanol added to it to boost the octane.

But I am not an expert in this field!

Resists pre ignition by basically burning slower or having a lower flash point to put it in simple terms .

No increase in ethanol is used to formulate higher octane fuels it's more in the refining process with different additives . Read some good articals on high octane fuels and the myths and misconceptions about it a few years ago . Oil companies make a fortune with it by uneducated consumers thinking it will boost power and make their car run better !

My truck actually gets better mileage with 89 if I am loaded down and driving on the highway. I know it sounds strange, but if there is enough weight in the bed to make the truck sit level, and I cruise for a long distance without stopping, I can almost get 22mpg on [censored] California gas. Normal driving around here is 14.5 - 15.5mpg. An empty bed with 87 octane gas will give me 19-20mpg on the same highway.

Sometimes you need more than one PEA treatment to do the trick. Pinging means a lot of carbon. Redline is also a little more concentrated than Regane.

My car didn't have top tier for years and did mainly short trips. It wasn't pinging but it was really labored. The first hit of All In One made a difference in about half a tank, but it kept on getting better with another treatment.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gathermewool
[
I don't know why or how I ran into problems using good UCL (MMO), but I did. It's been several tanks of gas later and no problems. The only thing I can figure is it takes me around 3 weeks to go through a full tank. Perhaps some gas is going bad by that point?

I was using MMO in every fill up.

Quote:
Found your problem right there!
13.gif

Yep.

When will folks learn that a snake oil by any other name...is indeed a snake oil.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back