Ball park figure on replacing rear axle F150

Status
Not open for further replies.
Truck below.....rear axle seal is leaking and getting worse. Pumpkin is just about saturated with grease. So, don't have time to do it myself and don't have all the tools, what would be a ballpark figure to have this replaced? Not a dealership. Got a local mechanic that has done good work in the past. I'm just curious.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
Pumpkin is just about saturated with grease.

So I'm assuming you're talking about the pinion seal? Shouldn't be more than an hour labor and the seal costs about $10.

I paid almost 500 to have both axle seals done and rear brakes. Since they were saturated. That was on a 94 f250 with a 10 1/4 one side should be around 200. Though I would probably have both done if was me. I paid that about 3 Yeara ago. Only reason I did was because it had to pass inspection and I needed it the next day and I didn't have time. Under normal circumstances I wouldn't have ever paid for it to be done. Its not that hard to do really.

The safe estimate would be around 1.5 - 2 hours labor. So as others have said, about a couple of hundred bucks + the $10 seal.

Sure it isnt the rear diff cover rusted thru? Seems the steel used now is puny,and generally un plated or protected.

Which seal? The pnion seal? the axle seals out at the wheels? The RTV seal for the Diff cover?

If its the Pinion or cover seals, figure an hour and half labor and $10 for the seal itself.

If its the axle seals, you'll have to figure in if you need to replace the parking brake and disc brake pads.

Gentlemen, I should have been more clearer, sorry about that. It's the pinion seal. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back