Shell Helix 5w40 very close to any 0w40, benefit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A question about Mobil 1 0w40 or others 0w40 grade oil and Shell Helix Ultra 5w40.

I just read the Shell feature and notice that Shell is an atypical 5w40, in fact this oil has characteristics typical of an any 0w40.

For exaple, this is Mobil 1 parameters:
V100° : 13.5.
v40°: 75.
VI: 185.
flash point 220°C
HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @ 150ºC, (ASTM D4683) 3.8

Ok, similiar to others 0w40 on the market.

We now take Shell Helix Ultra 5w40:

100°C: 13.1
40°C: 74.4
flash point 215°C
HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @ 150ºC, (ASTM D4683) 3.68

Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 appears to me very similiar at any 0w40 grade oil, and it does not seem to be a typical 5W40.

Now, i think that getting a 5W40 oil with the parameters of a 0W40 may provide some advantage for those who want a 0W40, cause the 5w40 oil should be more stable having a lower range of gradation.
Basically I have an oil (Shell) with the characteristics of thinness of a 0W40 but with a less "extreme" gradation range (5w40).
This argument could be right?

Best regards.

Originally Posted By: LargeCarManX2
What is Shell's 5w40 Viscosity Index?

Using the data posted by the OP widmans calculator provides a VI of 180. Problem is I've seen 3 or 4 MSDS for the Helix, all with different specs. Anyway the VI should be in the 178-182 range which is very good for an 5w-40 of it's price.

My opinion is that for the Euro cars wanting HTHS = 3.5, the Shell is a bit more appealing since it isn't too thick. 3.68 vs 3.8 is only about 5% so not a deal-breaker.

I'd use whichever was on sale.

Hi Large, VI should be around 178-185 range how OpelFever reported.
Latest techsheet from Shell do not reports VI. But a more recent techsheet (2010) that reports this value shows VI: 187.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dparm
My opinion is that for the Euro cars wanting HTHS = 3.5, the Shell is a bit more appealing since it isn't too thick. 3.68 vs 3.8 is only about 5% so not a deal-breaker.

dparm the main question is:
If i'm interested in 0w40 oil...
Why should I buy again a 0w40 when I can have a oil with the same features (thinness, cold starting, ecc..) of a 0w40 but held in a 5W40 (Shell)?

Originally Posted By: Vincenzo_f
Originally Posted By: dparm

dparm the main question is:
If i'm interested in 0w40 oil...
Why should I buy again a 0w40 when I can have a oil with the same features (thinness, cold starting, ecc..) of a 0w40 but held in a 5W40 (Shell)?

Well only difference then could be whether one is PAO and another Mineral based or Group III oil?
Both oils are good, very good. Now, what I would do is run one oil then switch to another and then just see which one subjectively fits you engine better (noise etc).
Engines do tend to like some oils and dislike another ones.
I bought CC recently and put 0W40 Mobil1. Next time I will put Castrol 0W30 and then decide which one I will run all the time simply based on my subjective opinion.
Bottom line: You will not make mistake with either one of them!

Hi Large, VI should be around 178-185 range how OpelFever reported.
Latest techsheet from Shell do not reports VI. But a more recent techsheet (2010) that reports this value shows VI: 187.

If the VI isn't calculated for you on a PDS you can always determine it from the KV40 and KV100 spec's usinf a viscosity calculator as follows:
http://www.widman.biz/English/Calculators/VI.html

Yes PU and Shell Helix 5W-40 has very similar viscosity characteristics to M1 0W-40.
BTW the actual PDS spec's for any oil will vary depending on where it's made. The M1 SN GF-5 0W-40 spec's you've quoted are for the US made version of the oil.
The Canadian made M1 0W-40 is still SM GF-4 and has a 187 VI and HTHSV of 3.6cP. Since you in Europe get the spec's that apply to the oil that's supplied to your country.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

If the VI isn't calculated for you on a PDS you can always determine it from the KV40 and KV100 spec's usinf a viscosity calculator as follows:
http://www.widman.biz/English/Calculators/VI.html

Very useful this link.
smile.gif

One of the problem with Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 is availability in USA, it is not available in any local store anywhere.

As posted above, the PDS of Shell Helix shows it is a good oil I would buy whichever is less.

I'm running this Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 in my 1989 Toyota MR2. I see no ill effects of it and it appears to be cleaning my engine quite nicely.

It was available in 5 liter jugs and I bought six of them so I'll be using this for some time.
smile.gif

Good oil per the specs. I've heard lots of bad things about the Helix, and I've always wondered what's that all about. No personal experience though, but somehow I've avoided using it.
Good to see fellow Finns on this great forum
smile.gif

If you live in an area that experiences freezing temperatures the 0W-40 will have an advantage in pumpability. I'm sure the Shell 5W-40 is a good oil, but here in the US it is much more expensive than M1 0W-40.

Overall regardless of price I still prefer M1 0W-40. We discuss only the most basic aspects of lubricants in this forum, but this is probably the most developed oil in the world considering some of the best manufacturers spec it for their engines.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: vinu_neuro
If you live in an area that experiences freezing temperatures the 0W-40 will have an advantage in pumpability. I'm sure the Shell 5W-40 is a good oil, but here in the US it is much more expensive than M1 0W-40.

The point is that the viscosity at 40° of Helix (despite is a 5w40 oil) is the same of Mobil 1 0w40.
So, i suppose that pumpability is the same in cold temperatures.

40C is far from freezing. 0W, 5W, 10W, etc has to do with low temperature (below freezing) pumpability.

Last edited:
The point is that the viscosity at 40° of Helix (despite is a 5w40 oil) is the same of Mobil 1 0w40.

Unfortunately, the 40C viscosity does not really tell you how the oil will behave at every low temps.

Originally Posted By: zpa
Good to see fellow Finns on this great forum
smile.gif

Cheers mate!
cheers3.gif

FWIW, IMHO in the warm weather of the southern Europe I see little need for 0W oils other than that they may be best products on the market.

Even up here in the north the 5W is quite sufficient although in the middle of the coldest winter period, say -30 degrees Celsius, you do want lightest oil available to lube things instantly.

Originally Posted By: vinu_neuro

Definitely 0W40 has better pumpability.
I switched from 0W30 to Pennzoil Ultra (which is Shell Helix for US market) 5W40. You could definitely hear difference in the morning. Valvetraine in passat 1.8T would make rough noise with 5W40 first 5 seconds. That was never case with 0W oil.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: edyvw

I switched from 0W30

Which 0w-30?

GC!
I was using GC in 1.8T for 6oK+ and then decided to try PU 5W40.
What I immediately noticed is that valvetrain during morning cold start is very noisy for 5sec. That was never the case with GC!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back