Mann HU718/5x - Does Fleece = Microglass

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand that Microglass is the best filter medium. Very efficient, less restrictive, high dirt holding capacity.

Now is "Fleece" the same thing as "Microglass"?

I've got a couple of Mann HU718/5x which I got for $10 or less. It says they are fleece.

Mobil 1 & K&N equivalents cost more but say they are microglass.

I use Mann HU718/5X in my 2000 E430 too, I think Fleece is not the same as Microglass. I have both HU718/5X and M1 equivalent M1C-253 and the media looks and feel difference. The media of M1C-253 looks like Hengst paper filter(I also have a couple in my stash).

Originally Posted By: RedCorvette
I understand that Microglass is the best filter medium. Very efficient, less restrictive, high dirt holding capacity.

Now is "Fleece" the same thing as "Microglass"?

I've got a couple of Mann HU718/5x which I got for $10 or less. It says they are fleece.

Mobil 1 & K&N equivalents cost more but say they are microglass.

Fleece is not microglass material. Microglass needs to be wire backed at this stage of the game as it cannot hold itself together without backing material. Unless someone has a new process in place...the fleece will not be microglass.

I'm curious about the K&N and M1. They have not been microglass historically. They are a synthetic blend media however...not to be confused with microglass though.

Hi,
RedCorvette - The fleece type filters are a type of "fabric" with great filtering properties. "Fleece"being the operative word. They tend to last well and are largely unaffected by high lubricant temperatures

They have been around for decades and were the "ïnsert" cartridge used in many English (BMC etc) and Euro vehicles for many years

Thanks all. I guess I'm trying to get the different types into a compatative context.

Amsoil's microglass was almost 99% efficient, could go 25k and had 4(?) times less restriction.

A Mann fleece can do 12k. But what is it's efficiency % and restriction like?

A Pure One is paper but is 99.5% efficient, they claim it can go over 15k, but we know it is more restricitve (although how much might not matter especially if they feel it can go to 15k)

Then we have synthetic media like Purolator Synthetic / Bosch D+ which are a little less efficient, seemingly around where microglass is, but can hold more dirt and are less restrictive. Kind of sounds like microglass.

Does this cover all the different options out there in terms of media?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RedCorvette
Thanks all. I guess I'm trying to get the different types into a compatative context.

Amsoil's microglass was almost 99% efficient, could go 25k and had 4(?) times less restriction.

A Mann fleece can do 12k. But what is it's efficiency % and restriction like?

A Pure One is paper but is 99.5% efficient, they claim it can go over 15k, but we know it is more restricitve (although how much might not matter especially if they feel it can go to 15k)

Then we have synthetic media like Purolator Synthetic / Bosch D+ which are a little less efficient, seemingly around where microglass is, but can hold more dirt and are less restrictive. Kind of sounds like microglass.

Does this cover all the different options out there in terms of media?

The Purolator Synthetic IS a microglass filter, just like the Royal Purple and NAPA Platinum.

Ok, so paper, fleece, synthetic / microglass are the 3 categories. And maybe there's a 4th category (Fram) (joke).

So how does fleece stack up in terms of efficiency vs restrictiveness?

Hi,
RedCorvette - Slightly off the Thread's intent I have found the likes of Donaldson's Synteq (media) to be ideal in extended OCIs when used with an appropriate synthetic lubricant

I have taken Synteq out to 130kkms (80kmiles) without any media deterioration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back