March Issue of Lubes n' Greases Magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I read it. It was posted on the Amsoil web site. Besides being biased towards Amsoil, it was just plain wrong. It tended to say that 3K oil changes were a conspiracy by big oil. It did not account for oil change frequency being related to the vehicle, engine, usage, sump size, oil brand/type, and climate, among other factors. Those who follow this forum over the months will see right through this article. Give us some credit, Amsoil, we're not going to fall for that load of crap.

Oh, dear. Slamming ExxonMobil for recommending the drain interval listed in your owner's manual?

Gee, could it be because ExxonMobil doesn't want to be on the receiving end of all the lawsuits for voided warranties?

Nah, it must be because ExxonMobil wants to destroy the environment, waste people's money, and skin babies to make throw rugs.

I'm not used to seeing so much propaganda outside of election years. I'm not familiar with LnG. Is it a respected trade journal or a marketing tool? Was this an article or a paid advertisement?

There already was a thread on this back in March/April - scroll down.

LnG is a respected trade mag. - marketing/slight tech.
The mag has ZERO do to with Amsoil (sure Amsoil jumped on using the article - so is that a problem?). But I rarely see anything about Amsoil in the mag. I have been a subscriber for 4 years.
It's an independent editorial by an ex-head of API. Last time I checked Amsoil and API weren't making out at the movies.
3K dummiedumb should be on the way out. So what? Most car makers are even moving away from 3K OCI's. Which new cars are still saying 3K?

Propaganda? Come one, it's an editorial, and like it or not most UOA's here, say most oils can go over 3K!!

[ June 12, 2003, 03:58 PM: Message edited by: Pablo ]

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
Propaganda? Come one, it's an editorial, and like it or not most UOA's here, say most oils can go over 3K!!

Yes, but that's a different issue than ragging on Mobil for telling people to follow their owner's manual. Virtually every car made these days has a regular service interval that's well over 3,000 miles, typically 7,500 to 10,000 miles now. I think that's a perfectly reasonable interval for M1 and most driving patterns if you're not doing oil analysis.

Lubes-n-Greases (www.lngpublishing.com) is completely focused on the oil industry. Here's a list of recent advertisers:

Akzo Nobel
American Refining Group
BP
Calumet Lubricants
Chevron Oronite
Chevron Phillips Chemical
ChevronTexaco
Ciba Specialty Chemicals
Cognis
Crompton
DuPont
Ethyl
Hatco
Hedwin
Infineum
Inolex Chemical
Lubrizol
Mayco
Metalcote
Motiva
Petroleum Packaging Council
Pilot Chemical
RT Vanderbilt
STLE
Ultra Additives
UniSource Energy

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
Last time I checked Amsoil and API weren't making out at the movies.

lol.gif

Man, that's too funny. One fundamental question was brought up though. Why are they doing/recommending long drain intervals in Europe? You know German engineering is pretty tight and they have driving conditions similar to ours, well, probably worse with the high speed autobahns and colder temps..........

quote:

Gee, could it be because ExxonMobil doesn't want to be on the receiving end of all the lawsuits for voided warranties?

I agree, but wouldn't rule out sales influence either. I don't really fault Exxon Mobil for not recommending extended drains. I'd go with what the manufacturers are saying to avoid liability risks. However, Corvettes call for 15k mile changes and we are seeing that this is not too unrealistic. Amsoil should be commended for extended drains. It's good for the enviroment too. I just think they could be more specific.

Has anyone seen this issue and read the editorial about the 3,000 mile oil change, I have a copy. Some interesting reading from the past president of the API.

They estimate the cost to the american car owners of 1.5 billon $$ yearly.
mad.gif

Found a link to it on Google
crushedcar.gif
Page

[ June 12, 2003, 01:05 PM: Message edited by: Mike ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back