PetroCanada's GroupIII Process

Status
Not open for further replies.

MolaKule

Staff member
http://www.petro-canada.ca/eng/prodserv/lubesgreases/8423.htm

Of course, they too call G III a synthetic.
dunno.gif

Something very important to note in that article: Only their Group III is dewaxed using isomerization. Their Group II process is: Hydrocracking, solvent dewaxing, hydrofinishing. (Their little diagram of the process at the bottom conveniently leaves out the solvent dewaxing step in the middle illustration.)

Hence, PC's Group II base oils are not produced using the Chevron-licensed technology, which is an all hydrogen-catalyst procedure with no solvent dewaxing.

Exxon Mobil, PC, Chevron and others all have their own process version of the Group III stuff.

If I need GIII base, I get it from Chevron.

Here is another diagram at the Conoco site showing how they use Hydrogen twice during the process of making their Pure Performance Group II .

Catalyst

Click on the upper left to see where they start with VGO's to make the Ultra-S group III .

The Shell Global Solutions Library goes into a bit more detail on their use of Hydrogen Catalyst's .

I like group III's . Wish they cost less though along with being marketed for what they are .

I pulled this fron the Ultra-S product description :

An optimized blend of Ultra-S™ Group III and Pure Performance® Group II base oils can lower engine oil additive treat cost significantly, providing a net formulation cost advantage without sacrificing premier performance.

Sounds just like the Motorcraft 5w-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back