Crude Oil Yields

Status
Not open for further replies.

MolaKule

Staff member
In a "barrel of oil" there are 42 gallons of crude. From that 42 gallons of crude, 44.2 gallons of petroleum products are recovered. We'll explain why you get more from less in a minute, but here is the breakdown of products by major category:

Gasoline: 19.5 gallons

Distillate Fuel Oil - Home Heating Oil and Diesel fuel: 9.2 gallons

Kerosene-type jet fuel: 4.1 gallons

Residual Fuel Oil (heavy oils used as fuel in industry, marine transportation, electric power generation): 2.3 gallons

Liquified Refinery Gases: 1.9 gallons

Still Gas: 1.9 gallons

Petroleum Coke: 1.8 gallons

Asphalt and road oils: 1.3 gallons

Petrochemical Feedstocks: 1.2 gallons

Lubricants, kerosene, and "other:" 1 gallon.

The so-called "processing-gain" comes about because of the reduction in density of components during processing.

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
In a "barrel of oil" there are 42 gallons of crude. From that 42 gallons of crude, 44.2 gallons of petroleum products are recovered. We'll explain why you get more from less in a minute, but here is the breakdown of products by major category:

Gasoline: 19.5 gallons

Distillate Fuel Oil - Home Heating Oil and Diesel fuel: 9.2 gallons

Do you happen to have a rough idea how much the gasoline and distalite yields can be tweaked without running the cost up much?

I can understand why {from your oil yield list} today 2004 in my area OH USA...reg. gasoline is $1.74 and diesel is $1.99 a gal.

What I would like someone to exlpain to me is why when I was a youngster in 1962...reg gasoline was $ .30 and diesel was about $.18? My father, who was a truck driver back to the 1930's says that up until approx. 1970, Diesel was always about 40-50% the cost of reg. gasoline. GO FIGURE???

quote:

Originally posted by Alfonzy:
I can understand why {from your oil yield list} today 2004 in my area OH USA...reg. gasoline is $1.74 and diesel is $1.99 a gal.

Supply and demand and taxes. Some places diesel is taxed more or less than gasoline.

I have heard that diesel cost less to produce because it takes less refining and requires fewer additives.

BTW, at your $1.74 to $1.99 ratio, diesel is still a better buy because it has more energy per gallon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back