new 2011 HD Nightster oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Son just purchased a new 2011 Harley Nightster. Could some of you enlighten me on when I should make the first fluid changes and what fluid and filters you would recommend. Thanks. I am a heritage springer rider and am a little new to the sportster nightster bikes.

If it is under warranty let HD do it. If not, Valvoline VR1 20w-50 (the car version) in the engine, and formula + in the primary since its a two-holer. Wix for the filter.

Well id run Mobil 1 20w50 V Twin in the motor for sure. And I agree with Tim H on the primary/trans. When its out of warranty, then the VR1 is a great choice as we have seen in various HD Twin Cam motors.

Congrats to your son on the new bike. I looked hard at one myself, but ended up with my Triumph Speedmaster. Nightsters were just a little too small for me.

Congrats on your purchase, Nice bike!..First oil change at 500 miles, I suggest you use Harley's 360 oil for the engine and formula + in the trans. Good Luck!

I always ran HD Syn3 20w50 and the HD filter in my Sportster. Never a problem. It did fine in both sumps. A good alternate would be Mobil1Vtwin 20w50. I also recommend you stick with the factory filter. Your first service should be at 1000 miles and you should document it if you do it yourself.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Doog
I always ran HD Syn3 20w50 and the HD filter in my Sportster. Never a problem. It did fine in both sumps. A good alternate would be Mobil1Vtwin 20w50. I also recommend you stick with the factory filter. Your first service should be at 1000 miles and you should document it if you do it yourself.

I agree with you on the factory filter - it is the ONLY thing I buy maintenance wise from HD dealers.

I do disagree on the Harley Oil. Syn 3 is overpriced and under performing for the money. The Mobil 1 is the better oil and choice of the two.

my buell is (as some folks put it) 'half of an Evo' engine; after I bought it I had my local H-D/Buell dealer use the H-D Syn 3 in both holes (engine & tranny/primary); so far I have nearly 900 miles and only had to use @ 4 ounces to top off engine; my long term plan was to use Valvoline 4-stroke 20w-50 conventional MC oil in the engine (2500 mile change interval w/filter) and Mobil 1 20w-50 V-Twin synthetic MC oil in the tranny/chaincase (5000 change interval); settled on Purolator Classic oil filter (good quality and 1/2 price of Buell/H-D filter)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back