Grease for self propelled lawnmower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had to change the drivebelt on my 5 year old Lawn-boy self propelled push mower. I took apart the gear/drive and cleaned it to see what kind of shape it was in--looked fine. Grease was dark gray/black.

There is no mention of grease in the owner's manual. Any suggestions on what to use??

I use Mobil 1 synthetic grease on my small engine machines. It seems to stay on parts very well and is resistant to water and snow washing it off.

i've found the exact opposite. it seems to melt into juice and go away fast.

I've used Shell Alvania 00 semi fluid grease in gear cases of farm equipment with good results as it is the recommended grease. I've also used it in leaky steering boxes and even in the gear cases of my sawzall and my electric buffer.

Originally Posted By: Nyquist
I use Mobil 1 synthetic grease on my small engine machines. It seems to stay on parts very well and is resistant to water and snow washing it off.

That's what I have used for years on all of my vehicles and plan to use on my new Craftsman rider when I pick it up Friday.

I use the Snapper "00" grease available at any mower shop that sells Snapper mowers. It's a light grease or a really heavy oil. Granted you could probably glop anything in there with good results, but I like the Snapper "00" grease for it's weight and low resistance. I don't know the moly content if any or any other technical aspects of it. All I know it is highly regarded in the lawnmower repair community.

I have one of those lawnboys also, It came with a black (molly) fortified grease in it, so I have re packed molly grease in there a couple times. Supertech grease IIRC, it had decent specs but I'll probably change to something fancy this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back