Kendall GT1 Full Syn SM 5w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
First post and first analysis!
smile.gif

Bought a case of Kendall 5w40 from petroleumservicecompany.com. I haven't switched over yet but wanted to get a VOA mostly out of curiosity and to see what I'll be starting with. I'll be switching from Subaru branded synthetic.

Kendall5w40VOA.jpg

Last edited:
Nice tbn! This is the euro formulation from Kendall. Might have to mix a quart of this with my 5w-30 for the Eco to make a heavier 30wt and higher tbn. Surprised there's no moly or titanium.

Last edited:
Not bad. It's cheaper than M1 0w40 from what I've seen and should perform well. Might have to give this a run in the Jetta. Is there an SN version of this oil?

Originally Posted By: Brons2
I thought Kendall's big claim to fame was the titanium. This formulation doesn't have any.

This is the euro version. All the normal pcmo kendalls have LT. If you look in their site it has all the oils that have LT. The euro formulation is not one of them.

This is what I noted when I was looking at their oils. The euro version is not part of their liquid titanium line up. I'm unaware of an SN version. This is also not listed as energy or resource conserving.

Shipped to me it came out to be about 5.60 a quart. If it performs as well as I think it will I figure it's a pretty darn good value when compared to others.

Originally Posted By: volk06
Originally Posted By: Brons2
I thought Kendall's big claim to fame was the titanium. This formulation doesn't have any.

This is the euro version. All the normal pcmo kendalls have LT. If you look in their site it has all the oils that have LT. The euro formulation is not one of them.

^Well, the idea is cost savings I suppose. Since most people can get Kendall 5w-40 cheaper than M1 0w-40, this is a nicer alternative save for tons of friction modifiers.

This oil is a lot stronger than I thought it would be - most 'modern' Euro oils have low SA levels, and low TBN.

It's interesting to see it's formulated somewhat similarly to Amsoil Euro - no moly, some boron, and mostly Ca detergent.

Thanks for posting!

glad to see this. i picked up some after the last thread on it. i was also surprised to see no mention of liquid titanium but it looks pretty solid to me.

This is the European Formulation so it does not include Liquid Titanium, it is built for the European Spec. All of the information is on the page from the website that you purchased the 5w 40 from detailing that it is a European Spec Product. Read HERE

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back