2005 Jetta TDI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like most on here are using Blackstone Labs? I use Schaeffer Oils and they have a free analysis program. I'm starting to wonder if I'm missing something though, as I have lots of miles on the oil on this car as well as a couple other vehicles I own.

This is for a 2005 Jetta TDI BEW engine with Supreme 9000 5w40 oil.

563104_404558626240114_100000579410319_1413539_333191467_n.jpg

Last edited:
Well I'm surprised to see not one person has any thoughts on this.
Do I keep going till something shows up at "abnormal"?

I saw it yesterday and am kind of in shock that things look as good as they do with a 27k mile OCI. I hate to tell you to run it longer for liability reasons but I see no reason not to. No bypass filter?

There is one piece of important data missing: TBN
One can't measure "additive depletion" without TBN and preferably TAN.
With that not tested, I would change the oil. Ca/Mg levels remain the same even though the alkalinity of their anions is used up, potentially. According to my rough calculation, assuming 35-40 mpg, average speed 40 mph, you have gone ~700hrs and at average load 18kw, your specific stress is 18 x 700/4.5L capacity (assuming no makeup oil) = 2.8 MW-h/L oil.
Reasonably high, the MB441LA and 501LA tests do about 5 MW-h/L.

Charlie

That's something I hadn't heard about until the last couple days. To be honest I just was going off the report, they said it was fine, so it's good to go. I haven't done much reading about what all the numbers meant.

Just was starting to get worried about going so long on the same oil though, would be stupid to kill an engine trying to "save" $40 on an oil change.

The car has averaged 42mpg since I bought it about 1.5 years ago (I track all the fuel that goes into it).
I mainly use it to drive from Palmer to Anchorage 5-6 times a week (~75 miles a day).

I have added a small amount of oil over that timeframe, I never kept track but maybe 1.5-2qts.

Last edited:
If you don't change it now, or if you try to do this again, I would ask Schaeffer to run a TBN on the oil, even if it costs a bit. They may be able to still run a TBN on the 3/20 oil if you contact them tomorrow.
Although admittedly there must some alkalinity left in the oil, or else the Fe/Al numbers would rise steeply, which they haven't.
Do you have a Fumoto drain valve? If so are you taking a sample after the car has been driven, preferably while still idling?
Having added ~1.5L of oil reduces your specific stress considerably, down to about 2 MW-h/L, because I believe your sump is 4.5L, as stated. Although my memory of my daughter's 09 TDI sump is fuzzy - either 3.8 or 4.5?

Charlie

I use a Mityvac and suck some oil out from the dipstick tube. Do have a Fumoto valve but getting to it involved jacking the car up and removing an aftermarket skid plate.

Engine holds something around 5 quarts from what I can remember.

I sent an email to the lab folks at Schaeffer yesterday about the TBN, hope to hear back in the next few days.

Last edited:
+1 on the drain, or go one more OCI and resample with TBN. This oil is doing great in this engine. The only reason to change it now is that the wear metals are starting to load up (60+ Fe, 20+ Al), but they're really not anywhere near "must change" levels yet. Oxidation and nitration are still very low, and visc is good so I'm guessing TBN is ok still. But hey, 27k is pretty [censored] good so I would suggest changing and running this oil for 25k intervals from this point forward. Use your free analyses at 10k and 20k just to make sure everything is kosher.

I put in a request to get a test from Blackstone and I'll sample the oil at 30k.
Haven't heard back from Schaeffer Oils yet, if I get a chance I might call them tomorrow.

Iron is trending upward. Watch your camshaft since you're over 100,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: FowVay
Iron is trending upward. Watch your camshaft since you're over 100,000 miles.

Actually it's the opposite. Notice that this oil has not been changed, so the trend is in a downward direction (first 15k miles was ~ 3ppm/1000miles and last 10k miles is more like 2ppm/1000miles). Although there is some topup oil added which probably makes this a pretty even wear rate throughout the entire OCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back