Five Guys Burgers and Fries

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife and I love 5 guys - the burgers and fries are great. They're a little expensive, but at least they're "real" food, unlike McGreasles and Booger King, etc. Similar quality to Red Robin, though fewer choices at 5G.

Last edited:
I've been to the one in Arlington Texas (right off Cooper near Parks Mall) several times. Every time they service has been friendly, the place is clean and the food is consistantly good. No complaints.

Originally Posted By: RANDYZ
I ate there once. It was their grand opening in Daytona Beach. The place was packed and took a long time to get the food. The food was just ok and not worth the price. There were 4 of us from work that went and not one has been back again.

Yes, overpriced for what you get, atmosphere of a freeway rest area, not worth it in my book.

John

IMO:

5 Guys: Long wait, to pricey for burger and frys.

Smashburger: No wait, too pricey for burger and frys.

In & Out: Long wait, cheap, but so so tasting burgers.

Red Robin: Long wait, too pricey for burger and frys.

I'd rather put a burger on my grill if I want a burger worth my time and money.

In & Out. Fresh never frozen beef which they mince and distribute themselves having received cuts from select suppliers (hence though they started in the same year as McDonalds and in California, and along with the fact that they don't franchise, they could never expand as fast).

Pros: Fresh beef, highly customizable, cheap.

Five Guys. Uses same beef as any other chain that uses frozen patties. But it is the endless toppings and varieties of toppings that makes me go there once in a while. When they get the bacon, mushrooms, bell peppers, various sauces in the right combination, it's a great burger.

Pros: Variety and quantity of toppings for no extra charge

Cons: Frozen beef (questionable quality), price (although toppings somewhat make up for that)

If you're in the mood for burger and fries, it's a great place to go. They keep it simple on purpose...burgers are never frozen, potatos for fries are in the stores and they fry in peanut oil.

I've always had happy customer service people there, even when it was in an airport. Although some of the behavior is professional rather than genuine, there seem to be a lot of smiles that are real.

Last edited:
I like 5 guys. I've eaten at them from Florida to New Jersey. I find the food consistently good, the service is always at least O.K.. I like the peanuts and don't mind them on the floor (this is part of the atmosphere, someone else used to do it Texas Road house perhaps - heard they got sued over it). The service varies widely at almost all chains just like people vary; 5 guys is no different but I've never gotten bad service at one and have never felt anyone was not genuine.

My one complaint is that it cost a little more than the fast food burger chains, but it is worth a buck or two more particularly since Wendy took over Wendy's and ruined it. I don't think I've ever eaten at a Smashburger or In' N Out and Whataburger doesn't impress me. Red Robin is HORRIBLE, I'd choose 5 guys over them or Cheeseburger in Paradise EVERYtime.

I have never been; the local one is 10 miles from me. What I am figuring the menu probably looks like that type of food just doesn't appeal to me anymore.

I like Five Guys. Never had an issue with stale buns (in more ways than one) or nasty cheese. The fires are outstanding.

My main gripe with them is they never season the burger patties.

Wife and I go there about once every 1-2 months. There are several to choose from, but we have a particular favorite where the people are nice and service is great. Good food. I grill burgers (really good ones) but theirs are a unique flavor that I cannot somehow duplicate at home.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Had one here locally, but prices were above local places like Cook Out chargrilled burgers, so it went out of business.

Cook Out is definitely king around here. I am less than 10 minutes from four or five of them. Cheap, decent quality, and tons of choices.

http://www.cookoutnc.com/

There is a Five Guys in Concord somewhere, but it's inconvenient so I've never been.

Quote:
...Five Guys. Uses same beef as any other chain that uses frozen patties. But it is the endless toppings and varieties of toppings that makes me go there once in a while. When they get the bacon, mushrooms, bell peppers, various sauces in the right combination, it's a great burger.

Pros: Variety and quantity of toppings for no extra charge

Cons: Frozen beef (questionable quality), price (although toppings somewhat make up for that)

Frozen beef? Five Guys says, "We use only fresh ground beef." "There are no freezers in Five Guys locations, just coolers. Nothing is ever frozen." http://www.fiveguys.com/about-us.aspx Always thought that's one of the reasons, even though the burgers are cooked on a flat griddle, they taste so good.

I too especially like the fries, also fresh cut.

Yeah, a bit pricey.

They aren't any more expensive than panera or chipotle. generally I'll pay more for one of those places than eat at mcdonalds or burger king, both of which are much, much worse. I suppose YMMV by location, but the one next door to where I work is always clean, the food is good, and the service is excellent.

Mediocre, IMO. Overpriced, too. If you're going for the "fancy" burger thing, Smashburger kills them.

Me, if I'm not cooking them myself, I'd rather just go to Wendy's.

Our Smashburger is actually mediocre at best. I'm sure it's location dependent, but I'd much rather eat Five Guys locally than Smashburger.

We used to have Fatburger and I liked them the best but they went belly up.

I don't get why people say In-n-out burger is so great. I had it a few times and it was no better and maybe worse than McDonald's.

I don't get why people are saying Five Guys is expensive. Have you priced a burger at Wendy's and the like? It's at least $3.19 for a single now and they force you to buy cheese even if you don't want it.

I was just at Five Guys yesterday and a single was $3.8x which with more topping choices makes it a better deal. The toppings is what makes Five Guys a good burger IMO. Sure, if you get a double with cheese, fries and a drink you'll be pushing $10. It's a lot of fries though I'm not much of a fan of their fries.

Originally Posted By: BrownBox88
Red Corvette,
the beef is not at all. I can assure you this.

Through the whole supply chain? You might be right. I do know that In N Out butchers and minces their own beef. Five Guys may not freeze, but they don't have the same emphasis on the quality of beef that In N Out do. They allow their various suppliers to choose and mince the beef while In n Out inspect their beef before they mince it themselves.

In any case, once in a while, I love to have a 5 guys little burger with bacon and several of the toppings. It makes it very unique compared to In n Out and when they make it right, it is a better tasting burger. But with small fries (which are enough for 4 people), it comes out to $8. Two people can eat at In n Out for that much.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx

I don't get why people are saying Five Guys is expensive. Have you priced a burger at Wendy's and the like? It's at least $3.19 for a single now and they force you to buy cheese even if you don't want it.

I guess I'm just a cheap geezer. Three people - three burgers, two fries and three drinks. Over $30 seems expensive, that's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back