List of Best Used Cars under $5,000?

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the risk of sounding biased, I'll say the 3800-powered GMs like the Buick Park Avenue and LeSabre are renowned for durability; and their resale values, insanely, drop like a stunned condor. My '03 Buick PA retailed originally at ca. $30K. I got it at age 4 with 45K miles on it, in great condition, for about $13K. In 50K miles it's been a great car with astonishingly good gas mileage for such a big beast.

I think my '03 is supposed to go in private party transactions for about $5-6K now, so that could be a data point for you.

Hi Benz and Panda,

Thanks for both of your contributions.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
At the risk of sounding biased....

To the contrary, i much appreciate and respect one sharing what they actually know from actual experience as opposed to some of the poop that i occasionally see posted on other forums elsewhere.

[I moderate/admin another forum which has often been a wonderful source of information and quality dialog, at times. And has also often been ongoing flame wars about the most petty issues, a giant pile of poop, at times. So yes, i do tend to take close notice to content posted.]

[i'll now step off my soapbox.
smile.gif
]

icon_salut.gif

Originally Posted By: skate1968
[i'll now step off my soapbox.
smile.gif
]

But only to jump right back up on the soapbox again in 20 seconds!

The subject of snobs, flame wars and forum etiquette

"He's an absolute gentleman. It's a pleasure to disagree with him."

-- something i said about a fellow forum member elsewhere. a forum member who happens to have generously helped out moderating.

That above statement was my version of "attack the post, not the poster."

"Attack the ball, not the baller."

"It's ok to disagree but do so respectfully."

The individual i was referring to votes for a different political party than myself. But what i so much appreciate him making strong arguments about real issues -- free from insults and personal attacks.

[gosh, a ma going way off topic here! i feel as if i ought to step in and moderate my own posts! enforce compliance!
smile.gif
]

For about $5000? Jeep Cherokee.

If you can haggle about $700 off the price, 4.3 Blazer (cost offset to replace the CPI "spider")

Need something more economical? Chevrolet Tracker/Suzuki Sidekick 4 cylinder. The ride and handling aren't that good, crash safety is a little suspect, and it's slow but the 4 cylinder is durable and economical. The V6 is an offshoot of the Mazda K-engine and it's a real jewel but it doesn't really get much better economy than the Jeep's 4.0 or Chevy 4.3

Need more fuel economy? Saturn S-series or Dodge Neon. Saturn's oil burning woes are well documented here but so are the fixes. Neon will need a timing belt but when you drive one, the torque and handling will make you wonder why you ever considered a Civic. (then you will see the acres of cheap plastic inside and remember why but they do drive pretty well)

Something sportier? Maybe a 3.8/3.9 Mustang. I'm not a big fan of the Essex V6 but towards the end of it's production run, Ford really did well to fix a lot of the problems. The 4.2 variant in the F-150 actually became a very good engine...if a bit underpowered.

But my overall pick for a combination of economy, durability, utility, ability to customize, and price? The Ford Ranger/Mazda B2300 4cyl 5speed manual.

Wow, Spaz!!! Good post, i feel like buying a car from you!

Is that your line of work, by chance?

(not being sarcastic, sincere thanks)

I've heard excellent stuff about the Suzuki engines. And appreciate you suggesting a Saturn but WITH a "maintenance" fix up plan.

But i think my sister would want her son to have the powerful mustang engine like she'd want him to have a... [something very bad].
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Spazdog

But my overall pick for a combination of economy, durability, utility, ability to customize, and price? The Ford Ranger/Mazda B2300 4cyl 5speed manual.

01.gif

These are one of the staple used vehicles around here and there's a reason for it. The Ranger does have a following that drives up prices somewhat though. It's not as bad as what you encounter with used Civics or Tacomas, but it's enough that finding a well priced one can be a challenge. Just look at Ranger prices in comparison to Explorer prices. The Explorer has the same, or often superior running gear, but costs about half what a Ranger does.

It used to be. I used to install payment protection devices on used cars. I got a promotion at my primary job and didn't feel comfortable with the lack of ethics my used car dealer employer used so I don't do it anymore.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Considering gas prices, a Civic or Corolla with manual trans.

If you look they can be found if you are patient.

Thanks, LT4,
Civics around my part of Philly are insanely overpriced. But i did SOMEHOW manage to snatch one up for myself for a good price, knock on wood. Someone told me about one that wasn't yet advertised.

I'll be wanting to broaden my search a bit. I don't want to ignore the possibility of getting a low miles, low priced, well maintained non Japanese car while waiting to find the rare civic and/or corolla.

thanks all the same

s

It used to be. I used to install payment protection devices on used cars. I got a promotion at my primary job and didn't feel comfortable with the lack of ethics my used car dealer employer used so I don't do it anymore.

I can respect that. I had a similar situation. Years after i stopped doing work for them i read that IRS shut them down! Darn good reinforcement for "why i left my last job" question that you typically get in new job interviews.

hi cutter,

Originally Posted By: cutter
I think the guys that live up and down 5th street in North Philly have something to do with artificially bumping up prices for Civics.

Ahhhh! Fifth Street?!?

I get a shot of penicilin at the clinic whenever i'm anywhere near that neighborhood!!

(joke)

Actually i'm sort of, more familiar with 5th street than i care to admit.

Anyways, on a positive note, i was just there two days ago. LOVE the latin food. Pastalios from Proky's. Street barbeques. Raellno de Papa w/ gravy. excellent

Forget about the "best car". We're talking about a 17 year old male who just got his license.
19.gif

I'd suggest a low powered beater, the cheaper the better, absolutely no more than $2000.

Let him drive that for a year or two to get experience behind the wheel because chances are he'll probably crack it up anyway, they all do eventually when they first get their license.

Stay away from the Hondas and Toyotas, too overpriced used. Find a low profile/inexpensive to repair domestic model; Buick, Olds, etc.

Originally Posted By: Rock_Hudstone
Forget about the "best car". We're talking about a 17 year old male who just got his license.
19.gif

I'd suggest a low powered beater, the cheaper the better, absolutely no more than $2000.

Let him drive that for a year or two to get experience behind the wheel because chances are he'll probably crack it up anyway, they all do eventually when they first get their license.

Stay away from the Hondas and Toyotas, too overpriced used. Find a low profile/inexpensive to repair domestic model; Buick, Olds, etc.

I got a new car as my first car. At first my parents werent going to buy for me or let me get any car - money, not needing it at college and all that.

But I made the case, had worked and saved a substantial amount of cash, and showed skill and maturity in driving (I logged over 10k miles in my first year of driving).

I still own my truck, and the only damage or destruction Ive done to it is a small scratch on the rear bumper where I bumped a light post once.

I think the key is ownership in the vehicle and what happens to it. My story may not be fitting to all kids, but I know my friends were all careful with their cars, bought new or used, when they had to put $ in the game for them.

I do think that a kids first real car should be MT so they have to respect the physics of driving more than just mashing the go pedal and brake. I also think used toyota and hondas have always been overpriced, worse now after CFC and all.

Originally Posted By: Rock_Hudstone
Here is one- low miles, 3.8l engine, with an excellent service history.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/...86079&Log=0

The same year/body style Honda or Toyota would be almost twice the price, have about 80-100,000 more miles and wouldn't be anywhere near as quiet and comfortable.

Oh come on.... He's 17! don't make him drive a grandpa's car. He'll hate it and will not be inspired to maintain it.

At least try on something like this:
autotrader link

Rock_Hudstone said:
Here is one- low miles, 3.8l engine, with an excellent service history.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/...86079&Log=0

Oh come on.... He's 17! don't make him drive a grandpa's car. He'll hate it and will not be inspired to maintain it.

Heh, heh, okay granted its not flashy but he can jazz it up without busting the bank.
A set of 16 inch LSS wheels and some fat 225-60R16 tires would give it a much different look.

But a Grand Prix would be a good choice too

I'd also reccomend a Saturn, but would say an automatic is probably better a new driver. One with ABS is much more rare but worthwile also.

Hi everyone,

I'm much enjoying these responses -- excellent.

[Again, i admin/mod another forum. And i often wish it was more like this forum -- wish i could get it more like this forum for more than one reason.]

regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back