Shell Rotella T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Originally Posted By: MrRPM
if you don't like Sopus and still want a HD oil then try Mobil 1 TDT, i have used it and it works good from what I can tell. Also Mobil 1 0w-40 has extra zddp and it supposed to be a very good oil. Im going to run a UOA of 0w-40 in a few weeks thats in my 4.0 right now. Im excited to see the results, i haven't found any UOAs of ow-40 in jeep 4.0s yet.

That would be interesting, other UOA's of Mobil in Jeep 4.0's haven't been very good but the 0w40 is supposed to be a different breed of cat. I'll be looking forward to that one.
smile.gif

x2. I also find it interesting that Mobil 1 leads to higher amounts of iron in UOAs than other oils, especially since Mobil 1 high mileage has more ZDDP than other oils.
confused2.gif

There is a post on this site somewhere that has a link in it to an oil study on 4.0L jeep engines. I believe the guy gathered as many UOAs has he could and put some kind of table together. The conclusion was that running anything over Xw30 showed no reduction or addition in wear metals. Very contradictory to what you usually hear about 4.0 engines loving heavier oils. His study shows that for this engine, you can use just about anything between 5w30 and 15w40 and your engine will do well on it. If this is the case, then i see no reason to run oils on the thicker side. Any good Xw30 or Xw30 HM would be a very good fit. If you want to run the 15w40 in the older one, go for it. Many people do it with the 4.0. Visit any Jeep forum and you will see. Im not sure about the one with the 5w20 recommendation. About the study i referenced earlier, i will post the .pdf of it monday when i get back to work. I thought it was a pretty good study so i saved a copy.

Good luck and welcome to the site.

Last edited:
jstutz,

Thank you for the valuable information. I would look forward to seeing, that review. If you get a chance to attain it please let me know. Thanks again,

Christopher

As far as a HDEO killing cats I personally seen in excess of over 100 fleet vehicles running LS GM engines go over 300k with orginal cats still installed

You can also ad mee to that "uses HDEO in my 4.0" group !
I run T5 in my XJ and WJ and ZJ(v8).
In the WJ I mix in 2qts or so of PNZL HM 5-30 during the winter months.

Originally Posted By: wsar10
You can also ad mee to that "uses HDEO in my 4.0" group !
I run T5 in my XJ and WJ and ZJ(v8).
In the WJ I mix in 2qts or so of PNZL HM 5-30 during the winter months.

I like/use Rotella also and sometimes blend it like you do. I quit using PYB to blend Rotella though, I noticed over time that QSGB has an add pack much closer to Rotella's so I now use that instead. For T5 I use Platinum. I believe the closer you can match the add packs and manufacturing source the better results you will get.

Rotella good!

I don't use QSGB to blend with Shell Rotella in Triple Protection 10w-30 or 15w-40. Instead, I use Formula Shell Conventional in SM or Formula Shell Full Synthetic. I've used the Formula Shell Full Synthetic, 5w-30, SN to add to a Gallon of Shell Rotella T6, 5w-40.

I had called Shell about these mixes of Shell products before I blended any of them in a mix. It seems that they all use almost the same base oils and similar add packs and are fine to be mixed and blended.

So....IMO.... if you can find Formula Shell in Dino or Conventional, you have another source for your blends.

Rotella T is conventional oil. Rotella T5 is a conventional/synthetic blend. They are both great oils and I have used/use both in my Jeep 4.0. When I run the T version, I use 10W30.

Originally Posted By: Knox
I'm running the rotella T5 10w30 at the moment and it's working fine for me. In Hawaii it shouldn't be an issue, for your 4.0L.

The 2007 jeep wrangler calls for 5w20 and i would stick to that. Quaker state is usually pretty good and affordable.

Baloney , that is cafe oriented and has zip to do with what is good for the engine .

I have a 2012 and am running 5w40 in it
I have zero oil consumption and in fact this is good for the engine in high heat areas
Just run it you will be fine

5w-20 probably isn't optimum, but if it's OEM "approved" by no means will any harm will come from it.

It's no more or less OK than 5w-40 ... which probably isn't OEM approved, and "has zip to do with what is good for the engine."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back