2008 Infiniti G35X Auto ATF Drain/Refill or Flush

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2008 G35X at roughly 40K miles and would like to get a consensus on how to maintain the trans.

I've had the dealer do one drain/refill. This resulted in roughly 3.5 quarts being replaced. I want to do it again. The dealer is suggesting a flush with their machine.

I'm starting to see allegedly that flush machines these days aren't as bad as the the ones from years ago.

Personally I prefer the drain refill method, basically the Honda method and NOT flush.

Any thoughts on the subject would be appreciated.

Originally Posted By: Towncivilian
The factory service manual doesn't even specify use of a flush machine. The cooler return line is recommended to exchange the fluid. See page MA-22 of the factory service manual.

I know. But then I found some web pages mentioning starving the transmission of ATF with the procedure in the FSM.

I really old prefer doing it per the FSM but the dealer I go to uses the machine to flush..

Originally Posted By: RedCorvette
The factory service manual doesn't even specify use of a flush machine. The cooler return line is recommended to exchange the fluid. See page MA-22 of the factory service manual.

Does your car look like the one on page 16?

Absolutely....... Not.

Drain & fill via the drain plug, then drain 2 quarts via the cooler line, stop engine, refill with 2 quarts, and repeat the draining through the cooler line until all of the fluid has been exchanged, if you're worried running things dry.

Drain & fill via the drain plug, then drain 2 quarts via the cooler line, stop engine, refill with 2 quarts, and repeat the draining through the cooler line until all of the fluid has been exchanged, if you're worried running things dry.

Might have to do that if I want to do it per the FSM method.

If I recall correctly, the drain and fill method is acceptable to Infiniti, too, according to the FSM. They seem extremely adamant, however, that it be filled to the correct level by all kinds of obscure means.

Originally Posted By: Garak
If I recall correctly, the drain and fill method is acceptable to Infiniti, too, according to the FSM. They seem extremely adamant, however, that it be filled to the correct level by all kinds of obscure means.

Indeed it is, but performing a cooler line fluid exchange is more thorough, and it is probably a wiser choice if evacuating the factory fill to get rid of break-in wear and any manufacturing contaminants.

If you are worried about the transmission starving for ATF using the cooler line method, then drain 2 QTs at a time via the cooler line method. In reality you can drain ATF until you see bubbles and stop the engine. The transmission is not under any load and will be fine. Or drain and fill at the same time. One guy adding ATF and another guy monitoring the draining of the ATF. Its a great way if you can keep up, but some dipstick tubes are too small to be able to keep up.

There is nothing wrong with a flush. The newer flush machines just more accurately add fresh ATF at the exact rate its being drained and are programmed to do a cycle, as in flush until the new ATF container is close to empty. Remember its the pump in the transmission doing the work regardless of the exact method you use, unless of course you only drain and fill.

Originally Posted By: momomeister
I have a 2008 G35X at roughly 40K miles and would like to get a consensus on how to maintain the trans.

I've had the dealer do one drain/refill. This resulted in roughly 3.5 quarts being replaced. I want to do it again. The dealer is suggesting a flush with their machine.

I'm starting to see allegedly that flush machines these days aren't as bad as the the ones from years ago.

Personally I prefer the drain refill method, basically the Honda method and NOT flush.

Any thoughts on the subject would be appreciated.

Note that as a result of comments on this site I stopped at literally a hundred different shops in the three counties I work in to see their trans machines.

ALL were completely passive, meaning they are simply two containers. One for new fluid and one for old. Your trans does the work. All fluid follows the exact same path it would as if you were driving normally. This led to the sale of my B&G machine that I bought years ago at an auction.

You can duplicate their procedure and results in the driveway.

Indeed it is, but performing a cooler line fluid exchange is more thorough, and it is probably a wiser choice if evacuating the factory fill to get rid of break-in wear and any manufacturing contaminants.

Absolutely. Steve's suggestion for how to accomplish that is probably the easiest way to accomplish it, too.

If I had a shop I would have a flush machine as its certainly an easier way to do a fluid exchange with one mechanic and the mechanic can do something else for 20 minutes. From a consumer point of view there is always some leftover fluid in the "new" container as the machine does not run until its empty (this may vary on machines however). So you are starting with say 1 QT of new ATF when they add ATF for your vehicle and it may or may not be the correct ATF for your vehicle.

A drain and refill has its place, its a good solution if your goal is to just refresh the ATF a little.

As always a Magnefine filter is a good addition. So is Amsoil ATF. Just ordered a case of Amsoil ATF (gallons) for my Dodge Ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back