Ok to run Shell Nautilus pwc synthetic in outboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, i'm just wondering if it would be benificial to run Shell Nautilus pwc oil in my yamaha premix outboard? It's api-tc and jaso-fc rated, full synthetic. As far as i understand isn't Jaso far superior to the old tcw3 rating. I currently run yamalube in my yamaha 15hp 2 stroke at 50:1 and i notice a little carbon fouling on my sparkplug. I was hoping to run the best marine oil i can in my outboards. I run them at 50:1 instead of the factory recommended 100:1 because my motors see hard use and no trolling. What do you guys think? If this isn't a good idea could you recommend the best oil out there? Thanks

For 2 strokes, PWC 2 stroke oil is a Low Ash type, with additives for higher heat loads and rpms. This is not the best oil for a watercooled outboard motor. Best to just use a TCW3 outboard oil, which has a different chemistry for low rpm and lower heat loads and won't leave the deposits like a FD or TC low ash oil.

Exception to this rule- There are some excellent newer oils rated for outboard and aircooled motors both JASO FD and TCW3.

Two great choices that cover any 2 stroke engine:
BelRay Marine Racing 2 stroke oil:

http://www.belray.com/marine-racing-2-stroke-engine-oil

Mystik HP Ultimate 2 cycle:
https://www.mystiklubricants.com/do/product/SMALL_ENGINE/663096002

I use these two exclusively -they are great for corrosion protection as well.

Thanks occity. I'm in Canada and i quickly looked to see if they were readily available. Not looking so good. The bel ray was $21 for a litre, the mystik, couldn't find it yet. Would you recommend one over the other? So basically i need an ashless oil for my outboard? If those 2 are some of the most recent and best, i'll give them a try.

Originally Posted By: rosscopeeko
Thanks occity. I'm in Canada and i quickly looked to see if they were readily available. Not looking so good. The bel ray was $21 for a litre, the mystik, couldn't find it yet. Would you recommend one over the other? So basically i need an ashless oil for my outboard? If those 2 are some of the most recent and best, i'll give them a try.

Rossco-

try the link for the Mystik, it is an online order cart-or if that isn't what you want any TCW3 will work better than an air cooled Low Ash type for your outboard. I would try us use a major branded oil if possible. Yes, look for ASHLESS , that's the key item.

and then some of the fouling may be due to the combination of 50:1 and a little cool running with low ash oil.
I'm not sure but how hard can you run a 15hp? The kids infatables and over-revving? You doubled the lubrication compared to man recommendation, I would consider reducing the mix to 100:1 or if you are worried, something like 80:1. The yamaha 100:1 recommendation has been with us for at least 20 years and does not seem to kill lots of them, not even the older rigs.
I know that some swear by running 2T engines at 40:1 or heavier, but that may also cause them to reach lean fuel conditions.
edit: The jaso fd AND tcw3 seem very interesting! Talk about improving logistics around the cottage!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back