Pennzoil's New Synthetic Base

Status
Not open for further replies.

MolaKule

Staff member
Penzoil's chemist's announced a new synthetic base oil similar to
PAO which they are calling EOP. Appears to have similar
characteritics as PAO but with a slighty better Viscosity Index.
Has same miscibility as PAO for additives.
Mola-Kule

MolaKule, are you saying that Pennzoil is no longer using Group III for a synthetic base oil? Can you post a link to the press release?

Brace,
Maybe "announced" was the wrong word, since that term is commonly used for press releases.

My information comes from a paper in Lubrication Engineering, June 2002, pp. 29-33, by Wei Song, et. al.,"New High Performance Synthetic Hydrocarbon Base Stocks."

Since I am fairly new to this Great Talkgroup,
I later realized it was also mentioned in a prior
post by the Pennzoil guy, maybe on the old list.
I think he said Shell had also purchased the rights to the process (since since the paper says three patents had already been filed by Pennzoil).

The author's discuss the linear alpha olifin makeup of PAO's and then discuss the engineering makeup of this "Ethylene-alpha-Olefin Polymer," which they term, "EOP." The paper goes on to say that the process creates a fluid that is cheaper to produce than PAO's. It is composed of approximately 72% Ethylene, 28% Propylene, and 3% Butene, depending on the viscosity, VI, and Pour Point.

Theoretically, the end product is of a more uniform structure than PAO's.

In the paper, the authors neglected to show a chart which is supposed to show that the EOP fluid has "...comparitive oxidative stability with its PAO counterpart and was much better than the Group -III base oil." DUHH?

I would hope they would get away from Group III and use this stuff, assuming it pans out in future engine tests.

I doubt they are using it in current motor oils.

Don't worry about the name, plenty of people make a mess of it.
wink.gif

Thanks for clarifying this for me. I take it that EOP and Mobil's newest form of PAO are totally different from each other?

Johnny,you stated in an earlier thread:"All Pennzoil basestocks come from the new refinery in Louisiana. This refinery is co-owned with CONOCO. All Pennzoil motor oil is either a Group 2+ or Group 3. The additive package for these products is propriatary to Pennzoil only. Quaker State base stocks are purchased from Exxon and are a Group 2. The additive package is pretty much standard industry specs. I know the specs on the SuperTech look close to Quaker State when new, but I believe you would see a difference when tested at 3,000 miles. They use different basestocks and additive package".
The part that says "ALL Pennzoil motor oil is either a Group 2+ or a Group 3".Were you referring only to their "conventional oils"?If so,please comment on the base stocks used in QS,Pennzoil, and Super Tech synthetic oils in their currently available products.

[ June 09, 2002, 10:33 AM: Message edited by: frule ]

Bror,

Here is how they PAO's and EOP's are the same:
1. They are both synthesized hydrocarbons.
2. They are both made from plentious refinery gases.

(Polymers are simply long-chain organic molecules).

2. Where they are different: PAO is made from 1-decene polymer, whereas the EOP is a product of ethylene, Propylene, and butene Copolymers.

In the case of EOP, the variuos viscosities (weights) are made by varying the amounts of the three polymers. Different PAO viscosities are
created by using different catalysts, but the same starting materials.

So far as oxidation of oils is concerned, its the chain length of the starting molecule(s) that determines its oxidative stability.

frule: Pennzoil conventional oil at this time is made from Group II+ basestocks. The Pennzoil and Quaker State synthetics are made from Group III basestocks. I am not sure about the SuperTech, but I assume it is Group III. I do know all three are made with different additive packages.

Just to add a note about the EOA product. This is something our chemist are working on at this time. It is not used in any of our oils at this time, but I hope our synthetics will be in the future. I'm sure if this happens, everyone in the oil industry will know of it. I'm sure once the Shell buyout is complete, they will research it further.

MoloKule,
Great post there!

I wonder about any seal compatability issues with this new type oil?
Probably will never find out,,,never could get a straight answer about current synthetics.Well actually got answers,then other ones that contradicted.

Mysteries,mysteries
smile.gif

How is Quaker STate synthetic base stock group III if everyone says 1-decene blah blah is PAO?

Quaker STate's base stock is 1-decene homopolymer, hydrogenated. CAS # 68037-01-4, 55-65% weight percent range.

Thanks for the info, MK! It sounds like EOP is a half-a$$ed version of PAO. Can't wait to see it in the real world. If it is better than Group III and priced right, then more options for us consumers.

biggthumbcoffe.gif

Oz

A bump to the top to see if anyone in the industry knows when this oil will hit a quart bottle
smile.gif

Johnny ? Please tell Shell that Motorbike wants some of that magic oil and ask them to shock the world by pricing it less than Mobil
cool.gif
Tell them George W wants some if that don't work
wink.gif

Is this base oil why Walmart is clearancing the SuperTech synthetic or is Motorbike inadvertantly starting a rumor ?
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back