Installing underdrive pulleys

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased a set of Steeda underdrive pulleys for my Grand Marquis. The pulleys that are being changed are the crank, coolant pump and alternator, and these are supposed to slow down by 25%.

I'm going to go ahead and replace the coolant pump/crank pulleys, but I'm having doubts about replacing the alternator pulley. When I'm caught in traffic with the AC on, I'm not too sure it would be a good idea for the alternator pulley to be spinning slower. Just wanted to ask for opinions. Thanks!
thumbsup2.gif

Hi Falcon,

I did exactly what you propose (including leaving alt pulley stock) on my 1990 5.0 Mustang back in 1991.

No charging or cooling issues but I experienced zero performance improvement (judging by my buttocks dynomometer). Curious to hear if it makes a difference for you.

Installed on the 2002 CV, there was a def improvement in the engine spooling up a bit quicker. Bear in mind that the 02 has a lot of mods and they all add a little to the overall performance.

I did not replace the alt pulley, didn't really see a need to do that.

I made this very expensive crank removal tool to keep the engine from turning when loosening the crank bolt. I don't like jamming the flex plate and I'm not a fan of blocking an extension bar and using the starter to bump things loose.
373626353.jpg

This is how it fits into the crank and clamps to the front sway bar (pipe mock-up).
373626358.jpg

Be sure that you replace the crank seal and use rtv in the keyway groove of the new crank pulley to avoid leaks.
374352382.jpg

The crank bolt is supposed to be one-time use. I know people re-use them without issues, I chose to replace with a new one.

I have steeda UDP on my mustang , I installed all 3 pulleys with lots of short trips and sitting in traffic no issues to report. don't forget to put a dab of silicone sealant on the crank shaft key way..

Falcon - you're in one of those places where I wouldn't underdrive anything...Kuwait summers are going to tax everything that those pulleys are driving: waterpump, alternator, compressor...

You might get a performance gain, you might not, but running those accessories slower in your summers, where it gets up to 120F, in traffic, risks a dead battery, overheated engine, or overheated passengers...in your climate, a cooler running engine will give more power...so make sure everything is working correctly first.

The OEs, including Ford, test in Death Valley to verify that the car will perform adequately in desert heat. They validated that the acccesory speed they engineered (for various reasons, including noise, MPG, RPM limits, etc...) will work in that kind of heat, as well as Alaskan cold.

Underdrive is for guys in the mild climates, looking to squeak out a few cheap HP...you live in the extreme...I would leave the accessory drives stock, while looking at an AT cooler, oil cooler, and bigger radiator!

Cheers,
Astro

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
I just purchased a set of Steeda underdrive pulleys for my Grand Marquis. The pulleys that are being changed are the crank, coolant pump and alternator, and these are supposed to slow down by 25%.

I'm going to go ahead and replace the coolant pump/crank pulleys, but I'm having doubts about replacing the alternator pulley. When I'm caught in traffic with the AC on, I'm not too sure it would be a good idea for the alternator pulley to be spinning slower. Just wanted to ask for opinions. Thanks!
thumbsup2.gif

I have had great luck with these on cars in the past. never a hiccup, and all accessories still worked great. On a Neon it even cured a harsh AC engagement issue.

Note that the 6.1 in my car is underdriven from the factory compared to the 5.7.

UDPs on the crank are best at higher RPMs. Around 6HP at high RPM.
Better with small engines and stick shifts.
Having the alt turn slower may dim the lights at idle, but should have zero effect on the AC.
Having the AC turn slower at idle DOES make a negative difference - it is barely working then.

Well, I know you guys have used these successfully, but I picture Falcon in his car, in 120F heat, in traffic, engine idling...with an underdriven alternator, water pump and AC compressor...

It makes sense to underdrive if the car is going to see cruising or high RPM, but not if it's going to idle in traffic, particularly in desert heat...

My 2 cents...

Sorry, based on the summer temps here in TX, New Mex, AZ and having been in idling traffic in all 3 states on a semi-regular basis, there have been zero issues. Yup not the Middle East but c'mon the car is not turning 100 rpm with the UD's
smile.gif

If your cooling and a/c systems are in decent shape, the UD's are not a big deal. Seems that those that actually have them installed don't report problems.

I can promise you that the SRT group would not have used it if it did not really work. And that means it had to pass everything a regular 5.7 would, all durability testing, etc.

They are not always used correctly, but if carefully chosen they should cause nothing except snappier throttle response!

Originally Posted By: oily boyd
Hi Falcon,

I did exactly what you propose (including leaving alt pulley stock) on my 1990 5.0 Mustang back in 1991.

No charging or cooling issues but I experienced zero performance improvement (judging by my buttocks dynomometer). Curious to hear if it makes a difference for you.

Thanks for the input, Boyd!
thumbsup2.gif
Based on what I have read, these do make some pretty good improvements to these cars. Will be interesting to see how it does.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Mud
Installed on the 2002 CV, there was a def improvement in the engine spooling up a bit quicker. Bear in mind that the 02 has a lot of mods and they all add a little to the overall performance.

I did not replace the alt pulley, didn't really see a need to do that.

I made this very expensive crank removal tool to keep the engine from turning when loosening the crank bolt. I don't like jamming the flex plate and I'm not a fan of blocking an extension bar and using the starter to bump things loose.
373626353.jpg

This is how it fits into the crank and clamps to the front sway bar (pipe mock-up).
373626358.jpg

Be sure that you replace the crank seal and use rtv in the keyway groove of the new crank pulley to avoid leaks.
374352382.jpg

The crank bolt is supposed to be one-time use. I know people re-use them without issues, I chose to replace with a new one.

Thanks for the tips and the pictures!
thumbsup2.gif
You've just gotten me more excited about getting mine installed.
laugh.gif
I'm going to be replacing the belt with a Goodyear as well.

Originally Posted By: stang5
I have steeda UDP on my mustang , I installed all 3 pulleys with lots of short trips and sitting in traffic no issues to report. don't forget to put a dab of silicone sealant on the crank shaft key way..

Will do - thanks a lot!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Falcon - you're in one of those places where I wouldn't underdrive anything...Kuwait summers are going to tax everything that those pulleys are driving: waterpump, alternator, compressor...

You might get a performance gain, you might not, but running those accessories slower in your summers, where it gets up to 120F, in traffic, risks a dead battery, overheated engine, or overheated passengers...in your climate, a cooler running engine will give more power...so make sure everything is working correctly first.

The OEs, including Ford, test in Death Valley to verify that the car will perform adequately in desert heat. They validated that the acccesory speed they engineered (for various reasons, including noise, MPG, RPM limits, etc...) will work in that kind of heat, as well as Alaskan cold.

Underdrive is for guys in the mild climates, looking to squeak out a few cheap HP...you live in the extreme...I would leave the accessory drives stock, while looking at an AT cooler, oil cooler, and bigger radiator!

Cheers,
Astro

Astro,

I have to say it took me a whole 2 years to get around to purchasing these. I've been half hearted the whole time, because of the exact reasons you outlined.

To be honest, my daily commute is a minimum of 90 km (56 miles). Much of it is highway, but our highways do get congested during peak hours. I try my best to avoid peak hours, and even if it's a longer drive, take the longer routes because they are less prone to congestion. It also gives me an opportunity to push the engine a bit, so the car sees 160+ km/h (100+ MPH) on a daily basis.

In the end, my curiosity had me give in, and I bought them purely because I wanted to try them out. What made me "justify" the purchase was my plan to switch to 3.73 rear gears with an LSD.

I have a buddy over in Saudi Arabia who's got these on his '07 Crown Vic. I didn't know he had them till I mentioned getting mine. He had the alternator pulley on, and he said the only time he noticed a drop in voltage was at night when the lights and AC was on and he was at a traffic light with the transmission in drive and the brakes engaged. Then again, congestion is not a problem where he lives in the outskirts of Jeddah.

Being an export model, my car's come with much of the features standard on police and taxi models - engine oil cooler, transmission/power steering fluid cooler, heavy duty calipers, 130 amp police alternator, heavy duty steering pump, etc. Ford really did a good job optioning up the car. I try to go further by using a PAO based engine oil, but haven't really got any other options other than hydrocracked for the A/T, power steering and rear end.

I'll experiment with them, and see what changes they will result in. Worst case scenario, I can revert back to stock.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
I have had great luck with these on cars in the past. never a hiccup, and all accessories still worked great. On a Neon it even cured a harsh AC engagement issue.

Note that the 6.1 in my car is underdriven from the factory compared to the 5.7.

Thanks for sharing! I've got my fingers crossed!
thumbsup2.gif
I think the 3.73s will be quite helpful when they're on as well.

Two things I forgot to mention, that I'm considering. One is a clutched alternator pulley, and the other is to alter the idle speed when I get a tune for my 80 mm MAF. Stock idle speed is ~750 rpm, and I'm considering moving that up to 900.

Quote:
I think the 3.73s will be quite helpful when they're on as well.

It's going to be like night and day! Thanks for sharing all of your great projects - we all appreciate them.

Originally Posted By: oily boyd
It's going to be like night and day! Thanks for sharing all of your great projects - we all appreciate them.

You're very welcome! Thank you for the kind words.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
If you have a stock Torque Converter that idle speed is not going to be helpful.

But the gears will really make her wake up.

To be honest, I'm not sure whether the stock torque converter is a 12" or 11.25", as there's absolutely no mention of it in the build sheet. The police models and Handling Package equipped vehicles got the 11.25", but I'm not sure how to confirm other than to pull it off.

I have a flare issue when shifting from 3rd to 4th, which has been improved by adding a pint of MMO to the transmission. It now only happens under light throttle, and shifts straight into forth otherwise. Still, I will get the transmission rebuilt and J-Moded. At this point, if the torque converter is not a 11.25", the plan is to replace it with one.

The only worry with a new torque converter is the drain plug though. Right now, replacing the ATF is almost a piece of cake. Once I get a 4R70W U-Haul transmission pan with the drain bolt, it'll be even easier. The drain bolt will be something that will be dearly missed if the TC has to be replaced and the new one is not equipped with one.

That said, I'm very much looking forward to the 3.73s. Prior to this, I will be getting a tune alongside an 80 mm Marauder MAF sensor, ported and polished intake plenum and either a 70 mm or 75 mm throttle body (Accufab or BBK). Along with the underdrives, if all goes well (fingers crossed), I think the car will be a blast to drive - especially when I ultimately get around to installing Stage 2 heads and camshafts.
thumbsup2.gif

Falcon feel free to PM me in cvnet (Blue95) if needed, I've worked on a bunch of 4R70W's and may be able to offer some info.

I have all the mods you've mentioned on my 02 CV and it's a blast to drive
smile.gif
IMO I don't think you need a clutched alt pulley.

I've had very good success with C&L plenum and the basic $75 ebay TB's. Yes the BBK is top-line, I'm just noting from actual experience the less expensive TB's have performed fine for many thousands of miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back