303 caused spots under instrument cluster plastic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wiping down the black plastic around my instrument cluster with some 303 Aerospace Protectant, and some overspray apparently got behind the instrument cluster plastic. I haven't got a picture of the effect, but many white dots are visible on the inside of the plastic. Will these simply fade away after a few days?

They may or may not fade away after a couple of days. I've actually had to remove the plastic on the instrument cluster before and remove over-spray manually after 303 left a slight residue that didn't go away.

Now I'm much more careful around areas like the instrument cluster.

Last edited:
303 ruined the instrument plastic on my Nissan truck. I had not been too careful as I sprayed it on the dashboard and the areas of my instrument cluster that got overspray now has white dots all over it. It's been over a year now so they're not going away on their own.

I'll try some of that Plexus cleaner to try to minimize the effects.

I wonder why 303 does this and Armor All doesn't?

I simply spray whatever product I am using on my microfiber towel, then wipe the dash down. Much easier to control over spray that way.

Originally Posted By: Scott P
I simply spray whatever product I am using on my microfiber towel, then wipe the dash down. Much easier to control over spray that way.

+1

Same here.

Ironically, I was spraying on a microfiber towel, I was just holding it too far away from the spray bottle and some overspray ended up on my instrument cluster plastic. It's $38 for a new instrument cluster plastic, and I may replace mine as it has a small crack in it already.

Lower right corner, under button. But such a crack is not worth $38 if the spots are cleanable.

I have the same issue on my wife's Durango. Little soft foggy spots that appear to disappear upon application of any product yet still show up as soon as it dries. The good news is there is now a giant scrape over the gear indicator and it bugs the tar out of me. So I'll be replacing the whole lens, probably with a junkyard unit if I find a particularly clean one.

I ended up removing the plastic lens and polishing it using PlastX. Most of the spots are gone and I'm much less irritated now.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back