sight in a scope?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got a really cool GAMO pellet rifle and it came with a scope. Can anyone offer an easy procedure to sight in a scope.

BTW, 1200 fps and .177 caliber

I've got an underlever .17 gamo...iron (sorry should be plastic) leave a little to be desired, but I like it.

One of the guys at the range puts his rifle in a vice, shoots at blank paper, dials his scope to the point of impact, then finishes the traditional way, moving his groups around the point of aim.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
I've got an underlever .17 gamo...iron (sorry should be plastic) leave a little to be desired, but I like it.

One of the guys at the range puts his rifle in a vice, shoots at blank paper, dials his scope to the point of impact, then finishes the traditional way, moving his groups around the point of aim.

+1 That's about the easiest way I know of.

Aim with the scope at the bulls eye. Is it shooting to the right and low then adjust to the left and up.

Rinse and repeat. A few shots and you are on!

Be safe, bill

Heres how I was taught to sight in my Remington 700BDL .270 Bolt action.

50 yds target. Center the scope on the bullseye. Fire.
Immediately open the chamber and let the barrel fully cool to ambient outdoor temp.
Adjust your windage and elevation on the scope and fire again with cooled down barrel and chamber. Open chamber and allow to cool again. Repeat above adjustments and proceedure till you're on target.

The theory here is that when hunting you are going to fire the gun with a cool barrel, not a hot one that has had several rounds fired through it. You see, a hot barrel will slightly adjust, therefore having a different target pattern then a cool one.

Originally Posted By: bustednutz
Heres how I was taught to sight in my Remington 700BDL .270 Bolt action.

50 yds target. Center the scope on the bullseye. Fire.
Immediately open the chamber and let the barrel fully cool to ambient outdoor temp.
Adjust your windage and elevation on the scope and fire again with cooled down barrel and chamber. Open chamber and allow to cool again. Repeat above adjustments and proceedure till you're on target.

The theory here is that when hunting you are going to fire the gun with a cool barrel, not a hot one that has had several rounds fired through it. You see, a hot barrel will slightly adjust, therefore having a different target pattern then a cool one.

A quality barrel wont have any hot/cold-bore POI.

Keep in mind the OP is also posting about a BB gun so the whole cold/hot bore doesn't apply here.

To the OP: you don't need a vise or any of that. Vice shots will have a different POI than your off-hand/prone shots due to minor errors, and your zero should be 20-30 or so yards being that you're planning on knocking tree rats in what I assume is your backyard. 50yrds is OK too but if most of your shots are going to be closer than make your zero closer. .177 pellets/BBs are very light and have an VERY low BC and will get pushed around a lot in even the slightest wind.

The vice suggestion is just a quick way to show newbies at the range that their gear IS repeatable...I've never used on on my own rifles, other than bore sighting it and the scope across town to the receiver tower to get on paper at the range.

Air rifles and .22s in particular seem to be very user specific in their sighing.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
.I've never used on on my own rifles, other than bore sighting it and the scope across town to the receiver tower to get on paper at the range.

LOL, I do that too, always hoping nobody sees me through the window and phones it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back