Status
Not open for further replies.

MolaKule

Staff member
Speeding motorists to be slowed from space
Straits Times (Singapore) 10/10/02
author: Agence France-Presse
(c) 2001 Singapore Press Holdings Limited

PARIS - France is preparing to test satellite technology that will automatically override driver control and slow speeding cars, the motoring magazine Auto
Plus and vehicle maker Peugeot disclosed on Tuesday.

'For the driver, this means the accelerator will be inoperable, because the fuel injection will be regulated by an onboard computer which itself will be
connected to a global positioning system unit,' the magazine reported.

Drivers breaking the speed limit will either see a warning message flash up, or suddenly discover the automatic cut-off has kicked in, slowing them down to
the legal speed limit.

The experiment will proceed in two steps.

First, two cars will be tested this week by researchers at the National Institute for Research into Transport and Safety.

Then, within a six-month period, 20 other vehicles - 10 Peugeots and 10 Renaults - will be used by around 100 motorists in Paris suburbs.

During the period of the experiment, however, drivers will be able to turn off the satellite override by kicking down hard on the accelerator.

Auto Plus said the project's cost was estimated at 5.6 million euros (S$9.9 million), and that it could be ready to be marketed in 2010.

Big brother is watching the french....

I guess wine and cheese is getting to them
grin.gif

John

Look at it this way- if they can get their French spies to sneakily install some of these units in those pesky German tanks, the next time the Germans invade, they'll have advance notice, so they can surrender in plenty of time! No need for any of that nasty old fighting!
grin.gif

Did you hear Jay Leno's joke the other night?

"Germany says it will not support the US in its quest to invade IRAQ; unless of course, Germany is allowed to invade Poland, France, Romania, Checholsavakia, the Netherlands....."

I would start a petition to overthrow my government if it seriously considered that. Plus it would be unsafe, how many times have you had to exceed the speed limit to get out of a jam? Stupidest idea I've ever heard...
rolleyes.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back