Oil for Golf Mk5 GTI 2.0 TFSI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I am from Italy and I have a VW Golf Mk5 GTI, with the 2.0 TFSI. I always use Mobil 1 0w40, but I have some problems of oil consumption. 1,5 L ore more every 6000 miles.
So I want to change oil. I can change with 5w40? Which oil do you reccomend me?

In Italy I can find:

Motul 8100 X-cess 5w40
Motul 8100 X-clean 5w40
Shell Helix Ultra 5w40
Meguin 5w40

Any of the oils you mentioned should be fine if they meet VW 502.00 spec. However, I doubt switching to a different oil will fix your oil consumption issue. Unfortunately these engines are known for consuming some oil. Besides, 1.5 liters in 6K miles isn't really what I'd consider excessive consumption. I'd live with it.

If you live in europe you need to use a vw 504/507 oil. 502 is still the spec for the US because of our [censored] fuel.

Helix Ultra 5w40 is probably going to be cheapest but definitely sufficient. X-cess 5w40 is a premium oil and will cost more; I'd use it if you really drive the car hard or race it.

The TFSI engine is known to burn oil. Here in the US. VW says 1 quart every 1,000 miles is normal.
shocked2.gif

How about Agip? You can support a local company?

00841917.jpg

Originally Posted By: Finklejag
The TFSI engine is known to burn oil. Here in the US. VW says 1 quart every 1,000 miles is normal.
shocked2.gif

How about Agip? You can support a local company?

00841917.jpg

Although not well known in the USA Agip is a HUGE presence in the European market (they are also high quality too)

Before Mobil became the OEM oil of Ferrari, Agip was it.

Last edited:
In my VW 2.0T GC Syntec 0W-30 was very stable and only needed to add about 1/4 liter over an 8000km OCI just to top it off, in reality I could have easy left it as it was in the safe zone.

Right now I'm running Mobil 1 0w-40 and after around 2000km I've seen a very slight drop in oil levels, I'm talking 1/16 of a liter to top it off.

In my experience, both GC & Mobil 1 Euro oils are pretty good to combat consumption, the car runs and sounds great on either and I will not hesitate to use either. Both are much better than Syntec 5W-40 IMO

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back