Anybody have 2004 BMW 5 series?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Rohan
Is this car worth it for $16,981 or how much should I offer them?

It really depends on the condition of the car and maintenance history. If you're serious about this car, do a PPI to uncover any potential problems and use the results as a bargaining tool to negotiate the price down.

What does PPI mean?

It really depends on the condition of the car and maintenance history. If you're serious about this car, do a PPI to uncover any potential problems and use the results as a bargaining tool to negotiate the price down.

What does PPI mean?

PPI= Pre-purchase inspection.

Probably about $250 at a BMW dealer.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

What does PPI mean?

Get a PPI at a independent BMW shop. Actually plan to have all your work done by an Indy BMW shop. IMO a PPI and records are the most important things to know before buying any used BMW.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

4. Assuming all of the above is in good standing, I'm thinking that car MIGHT be worth 10K?

I think he was referring to the 2006 with 64K miles. If the car is in good shape, it's probably worth around $15K.

Ahhhh, OK, yes, I agree. My comment was in reference to the obscenely priced high mileage 2004, LOL!

Originally Posted By: The Critic

What does PPI mean?

Aww okay I get it now n I'll look that into it before I purchase the car.

I was under impression that the whole reason to get 525 would be because it would be dirty cheap. I mean that engine would be barely adequate to move that car. Most 3 series cars are being sold with 3.5 engine! For $17K, you should have better choices than a midsize car with 2.5 engine.

- Vikas

Originally Posted By: Vikas
I was under impression that the whole reason to get 525 would be because it would be dirty cheap. I mean that engine would be barely adequate to move that car. Most 3 series cars are being sold with 3.5 engine! For $17K, you should have better choices than a midsize car with 2.5 engine.

- Vikas

The later model 5 series with the 2.5 liter is not a fast car by todays standards for performance cars. However it has reasonable enough performace for a DD.

I was under impression that the whole reason to get 525 would be because it would be dirty cheap. I mean that engine would be barely adequate to move that car.

[...]

you should have better choices than a midsize car with 2.5 engine.

The BMW naming nomenclature is throwing you off a bit. A 2006 525i actually has a 3.0-liter engine that is rated at 215 HP. It delivers a 0-60 mph time of around 7.3 seconds. So, it's not a speed demon, but should be reasonably agile for most drivers. It's also pretty good on fuel economy, all things considered.

Also, when looking at used 5-series prices that are off warranty, there isn't a whole lot of difference between a 525i and a 545i, at least around here. I'm guessing the V8 engines are somewhat more problematic and are of course terrible on gas, so that's probably why, especially now when the gas prices are nearing $5/gallon. But if you want something with more grunt, a 545i/550i would be a nice ride for the price, as long as you're ready for some extra fixing here and there...

Quote:

Most 3 series cars are being sold with 3.5 engine!

Again, the nomenclature. If you're thinking of 335i, it actually has a 3.0 liter engine + turbo.
smile.gif

Thanks Pete, I would have never guessed that BMW went with this confusing nomenclature. Based upon what you described, 525i seems to be a fairly competent car.

Thanks Pete, I would have never guessed that BMW went with this confusing nomenclature.

Yeah, they've gone bonkers. The new 328i/528i have 2.0-liter engines...

And Mercedes is no better - the new C250 has a 1.8-liter engine.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
For $2000 more buy a 2012 Corolla

Please don't suggest corollas to a person who's looking for a BMW.

(
wink.gif
)

Last edited:
Well, in all honesty, the OP has never explained his reasoning for wanting to buy a BMW in the first place. If he needs a very reliable grocery getter or commuter car, then Corolla would win.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
okay i sincerely hope OP wasn't looking for a grocery getter, then. I kinda doubt it.

Why not a BMW as a grocery getter. I see BMWs, Mercedes, Volvos and Lexus vehicles used every day for grocery Getters. a 2004 525i is pretty much considered just a high quality semi-reliable sedan suitable for everyday use. Mot like a BMW e60 series M5.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Ok... I agree - I guess I should have said "i hope OP isn't looking for JUST a grocery getter" then
smile.gif

I get groceries in the ZHP, too. although it's less fun than driving through the mountains in Ashville, NC
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Meh, I use the M5 to get groceries. It has a big trunk
grin.gif

You are qualified to make that statement.

The OP doesn't sound like the kind of person who would enjoy BMW ownership. If your looking for a cheap ride pass, if you have to finance a 5 year old example, pass.

Don't buy an out of warranty German car if your not ready to drop $3k a year keeping it up to snuff, or if writing a $5k check for a transmission will kill you.

PPI is the key here, PPI, its not a Honda you have to do your homework.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back